What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Required Tools for LDO 2.4

3dcoded

I am looking into getting a Voron 2.4 350mm LDO kit, and am trying to get everything I need to assemble the kit before I spend $1500 on one. What tools do I need to build a 2.4 from the LDO kit? I found some other posts on various forums about this, but I couldn't find much specific to the LDO kit. My current tools that I think will be relevant to the build are:
  • 1.27,1.5,2,2.5,3 up to 10mm ball-end hex keys (some have easily removable 3D-printed T handles)
  • Needle-nose pliers
  • Side cutters
  • Tweezers
  • Multimeter
  • Digital calipers with 2 decimal places for mm
  • Oversized square (I think it's designed for woodworking)
  • Various phillips/flathead screwdrivers
I also have basic custom wiring tools, but it looks like the LDO kit comes with a premade wiring harness, so I'm not sure I need these:
  • Basic crimpers (I'm not sure I need this because it looks like the LDO kit comes with a wiring harness done for you)
  • Dupont crimp connectors
  • JST-XH crimp connectors
  • Cheap soldering iron with generic solder

Are there any other tools I should prepare for this build?

Any help would be appreciated!

Hi, what you will use the most:
1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, maybe 4 mm hex keys (2.5 by far the most, for M3 SHCS)
Soldering iron for melting heatset inserts in
Multimeter
Calipers
Screwdriver, mostly for screwing terminals in
Machinist square and ruler or tape when building frame

LDO kits have basically everything prepared, but once you start getting into modding and upgrades territory, that's where good crimpers, soldering iron etc. come into play.

Thank you for your reply. I think I'll go ahead and buy a machinist square since that looks like that's the main thing I need for this build that I don't have yet.

Ball-end hex drivers are handy, but you should also have the stronger non-ball-ended ones, especially in the smaller sizes (2.5mm and smaller).

I am looking into getting a Voron 2.4 350mm LDO kit, and am trying to get everything I need to assemble the kit before I spend $1500 on one. What tools do I need to build a 2.4 from the LDO kit? I found some other posts on various forums about this, but I couldn't find much specific to the LDO kit. My current tools that I think will be relevant to the build are:
  • 1.27,1.5,2,2.5,3 up to 10mm ball-end hex keys (some have easily removable 3D-printed T handles)
  • Needle-nose pliers
  • Side cutters
  • Tweezers
  • Multimeter
  • Digital calipers with 2 decimal places for mm
  • Oversized square (I think it's designed for woodworking)
  • Various phillips/flathead screwdrivers
I also have basic custom wiring tools, but it looks like the LDO kit comes with a premade wiring harness, so I'm not sure I need these:
  • Basic crimpers (I'm not sure I need this because it looks like the LDO kit comes with a wiring harness done for you)
  • Dupont crimp connectors
  • JST-XH crimp connectors
  • Cheap soldering iron with generic solder

Are there any other tools I should prepare for this build?

Any help would be appreciated!
In my opinion, Voron 2.4 350 mm LDO is a really solid base of tools. In addition to those you mentioned it is worth adding a screwdriver and some precision screwdrivers. I think you might also need silicone grease for the guides and a calibration kit. Don't forget to also make sure you have access to the LDO documentation as it can make your submission much easier15.
regards emilia :)

Hey, you already have a pretty solid toolset. For the LDO 2.4 build, you’ll definitely need a few extras. Make sure to have:

• Torque wrench (around 1-3 Nm)
  • IR thermometer for checking hotend temps
  • Pin tool/needles for the extruder (useful for cleaning nozzles).
And about that soldering iron, a better one would be great. Also, check if you have some Kapton tape! (y)