What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Building Materials (Exotic) for V2.4 Build

Elkarlo

Hello, i am new to a real Voron but not 3D Printing, but i have some questions about how bad my idea is to use PA6-CF for the printed Parts of a Voron.
The CF should prevent the Nylon Creep, are there any experiences with it in Voron Builds?
Got a somewhat good deal on Bambu PA6-CF, after i bought my Voron Kit (Copymaster Voron Kit 350. 800€)
instead of a Sovol SV08.

Another Question, does Copymaster support Voron for using the Design ?

My Printers so far (over 6k hours):
#1 Teebot Suitecase Printer Kit (2015) - 4 Rebuilds but still kicking.
#2 Geetech i3 Pro C (Arcylic) (2016) - 1 Rebuild needed it mostly for parts for the first.
#3 Ender 3 Pro (2018) - 2 Rebuild heavily modded - ATM disfunct total Electronic collaps due Overheating in Encasing Frame is slated for Switchwire rebuild, the early frame is way better then the later
#4 Ender 3 (Pro + BLT + TONS of Mods) (2021) - 1 rebuild got all the Parts from #3
#5 Tronxy X5SA - 400 pro (2022) modded Rebuild is pending, it still prints but 0.36mm bed sagging, which is increasing over the time.
#6 Bambu Lab X1C (2023) ... boring

So i want a 3D Printer which i can mod and go to high speeds, thats was the thinking behind the option of not taking the SV08 but the Cheaper Voron Kit.
I have no Problems upgrading the Kit but the LDO Kit is twice the price, so donating some money to Voron
and buying Stepper Motors later seemed the better option for me.
I have the capabilities to print ABS, ASA, ABS+ or sayed PA6-CF i would try the later as the testing i did indicates it is much stronger and stiffer then most other Materials i got.
And the Heat Deflection Temperature of 186°C is good as well.

use PA6-CF for the printed Parts of a Voron.
Please don't. But it's your printer; put there whatever you want; just be aware of the risk that you will be reprinting and rebuilding again after a while :)
The CF should prevent the Nylon Creep
It does not, the base material is still Nylon.
are there any experiences with it in Voron Builds
That's why it's highly not recommended :) If you insist on using anything but ASA/ABS (including CF and GF blends), try Polycarbonate, or PC-CF. EZPCCF is popular choice.

Thanks for the Info. As said i already have the Filament, will find another use for it. It is amazong.

I found a 'hidden' stat, which is more important then the advertisement which may explain McKnight experience.
PA6-CF and PA12-Cf are both advertised with a temperatur stability way over 180°C. But this is the Cristall stability not the Glass stability.
PA6-CF got a Glass-Point of 68°C PA12-CF of 70°C. At least for Bambu Lab Filaments. You need to know that there is something to find it.

Bambu got most likely a PA6-CF20 and PAHT (PA12)-CF20 when comparing with other filaments, which puts the stability higher then a PA12-CF15 which is more common.
CF15 means 15% Carbon and CF20 20% which gives it the higher strength compared to other PA6 Filament and the Creep resistance.
But the Problem is: As soon as the Temps are over the Glass points the Creep starts.

Found Polymide PA12-CF Datasheet: Glass transition temperature DSC, 10°C/min 54°C

So now something boring to print the Voron Parts in it.

Bambu has a PPA-Cf with a Glas Transition of 85°C but that would be to pricy. (140€ / kg in the sale i payed less for 2kg PA6-CF)
PA6-Cf is intresting for it high resistance Values and relativly good value, with stats 50-100% higher then normal ABS/ASA
but with the heat Creep starting at those low temps it is unsuiteable.

The only other Filament which is suiteable from Bambu-Lab is their ABS-GF. So now looking what others have to offer.

Thanks for the Info and i am looking what i will use.

edit.:
Sleeped over it, i will risk it through the higher Glass Point temp of the Bambu Filament, but will use ABS-GF around the Toolhead,
and will look for a solution to keep the Motor Mounts below 60°C. It won't be my first Printer i rebuilded after one or two years.

Last edited: