What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

How to Determine Good Move Speed (All the Various Related Settings)

Printer Model
Voron 2.4r2 (Formbot as a baseline)
Extruder Type
Galileo
Cooling Type
Stealthburner
I've tested Max Volumetric Flow Rate and confirmed with secondary tests that Hatchbox ABS prints cleanly on my machine at 32mm/sec^3. So I configured profiles for those and ran some tests. With the default Orca settings for the Voron 2.4 profile, I was only getting 8.4mm/sec^3 max, because apparently that's what a 0.2x0.4mm (layer height x width) at 120mm/sec produces. The various speed settings were holding it back. So I went in and basically doubled all of the non-percent numbers. This did boost the flow to slightly more than double... I saw as high as about 20mm/sec^3. And the print looked good. That felt like a good start.

But the thing is, I have no idea why one number needs to be lower than another, etc. I would like to tune this, ideally so that I can get 32mm/sec^3 flow when the situation allows it, and whatever appropriate slower speeds are needed when the situation calls for that. There are also settings to acceleration and jerk that I am sure are relevant. And It appears that each setting can impact the others. How does one determine these numbers? Is there a calibration test for travel speed while extruding, once volumetric flow capacity is known?

In case it matters, I have a Voron 2.4+Stealthburner with nothing especially relevant to print speed except for a Rapido 2 HF not end. I'd also be curious what settings anyone with a similar build (i.e. no abnormally high amp motors, carbon x-rails or alternate lightweight toolheads) has achieved.

Well I don't know if you will hit your 32mm flow but you can certaintly tune for faster speeds. In the end, I think how the print looks in most cases is better then speed but if you are just doing proof of concept then go for warp speed.

I would look at tuning with input shaper and I like Klipper Shake&Tune Module for this. It will give you graphs to show you where to run fast and where to slow down.
Also tuning the motors can be importatnt for this as well. Klipper TMC Autotune is another great tool for tuning motors and drivers.

Read the docs on them and just remember with input shaper, you want to be in the Valleys for speeds and acceleration.