What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

"How'd solve the Icing Problem?"

Durahl

Soo... I've been using the Chaotic Lab CNC TAP in combination with a 0.40mm Nozzle in my System for a few months without issues but have recently started to dabble in the use of a 1.0mm Nozzle which is a whole can of worms by itself but one which also introduces a particular problem when going with TAP in general... That of 1.0mm thick and "cold" Filament still stuck to a leaky Nozzle during Probing throwing off any and all Nozzle Z-Height Calibrations

The obvious solution is to clean the Nozzle before doing the probing but there goes the Automation which I'm kinda particular on 😁
It would also mean having to raise the Nozzle Temperature to like at least 240°C, clean it, lower it to TAP temperature, probe it, raise it again to like 250-260°C Print Temperature - argh!

The other solution would be to simply raise the Nozzle Temperature well into the softening point of the Material ( ASA in my particular case ) for the actual Probing, but this goes against the recommendation due to it damaging the Print Surfaces... Question though... Does this still apply to the ones like the LDO Powder Coated PEI Springsteel Sheets which I use? I remember reading it primarily applying to Smooth PEI Sheets 🤔

So, yea... How does everyone else solve a problem like this? 🤨

This is almost certainly not the best way, but I just manually clip off any filament sticking out of the nozzle with wire cutters before starting anything (when the nozzle is cold). There may be a small bit of filament left, but it gets flattened to basically nothing after a few probes. After that, QGL and bed leveling will calculate the correct flatness. I still do a manual nozzle height check/adjustment once nozzle is up to temp before I begin printing, so any height error due to tiny compressed filament during probing is eliminated then.

The best way, I imagine, is to install a nozzle brush, and have a macro that wipes off the nozzle after a print ends and wipes it again once the temp drops to, say, 150°C to get anything that oozes out after that.

I've decided the solution to this problem is an automated nozzle brush routine. I jsut haven't decided how I wantt o mount it up yet on my bed slinger