What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Solved KlipperScreen Resolution

claudermilk

Trusted Advisor
Voron Owner
So I clicked the update button...
I've almost recovered from that except for KlipperScreen. I've gotten it installed via KIAUH and touch screen fixed. But now it's got the wrong resolution and is sending a too-wide image, so the right side is cropped. I am running a DSI Waveshare 4.3" to my RPi 4. Back on my initial install under Buster-based MainsailOS it just worked, now that I'm on a standard Debian 12 Bookworm it's gotten confused. I've searched around to no avail on how to adjust this. Has anyone else run into this and have a solution?

I am assuming after the update you updated all the scripts as well?
If I recall I had used a strange size screen on a build and had to edit a config file, but I don't recall the location of the file.
@Sanity Agathion any ideas?

So I clicked the update button...
As an aside, I really don't understand why that is such a thing in this community...

Discouraging updates means that people go long periods of time dealing with issues that were long ago fixed. And when you finally update and things *do* break, you have a backlog to get through - and might be dealing with multiple problems in multiple places - instead of just one at a time if you had otherwise kept current.

Well, what I just went through is why. My Klipper was v10 and Debian install was Buster (from a MainsailOS image). I really wanted the Spoolman integration and that required doing an update. So Klipper went to v12. Which broke things like my KlipperScreen and webcam. Trying to go to crowsnest required updating Debin, so I've ended up at Bookworm. All that required reflashing my MCU to the latest Klipper. Which proceeded to break my GPIO UART signal connection, so I had to redo my signal wiring and add a USB cable. Then I had to shift all my configs over to the new install and reinstall all the extra libraries I use. A week later the printer is working again. That's why clicking update is a thing.

So back to my question. I just started a print job after rebooting the printer (had to copy over the Pause, Cancel, Resume macros from my old files--see above rant). I notice the resolution is good. Then to test, I looked at the Spoolman menu which gave me a lit of my spool. It ALSO screwed up the screen width and now it's displaying too wide again. I think going to the main settings menu did this originally. So the RPi OS seems to be recognizing correctly to start with, but KlipperScreen is borking itself when changing menus. I haven't changed anything on that setting yet to recover my old tweaks.

Quick update. I poked at it a while bunch more. It's the Spoolman menu that borks it. When the spools are displayed, it widens the screen and stays that way until you restart KlipperScreen. I'll go check the GitHub over at the KlipperScreen project and open an issue if it hasn't already been brought up.

Well, what I just went through is why.
I promise I'm not trying to poke at a wound. But your case is exactly my point - updating what was effectively a 2022 time capsule meant you had to suffer through all of the major breaking step changes in the OS and all of your software, all at once. It's unfortunate, because I think a lot of people end up with similar headaches... when simply staying current could have avoided or significantly lessened the pain... Again, not singling you out - I think it's poor advice that the community perpetuates.

I was expecting some of the pain and I had deliberately held off on updates back before the holidays because of lots of printing that I needed to get done. After that time pressure was off, I could go ahead and break the printer. It just turned out to be more painful than expected this time. I had kept more-or-less up to date the prior two years without any trouble. There was also the Bullseye bug that created a perfect storm situation.

I promise I'm not trying to poke at a wound. But your case is exactly my point - updating what was effectively a 2022 time capsule meant you had to suffer through all of the major breaking step changes in the OS and all of your software, all at once. It's unfortunate, because I think a lot of people end up with similar headaches... when simply staying current could have avoided or significantly lessened the pain... Again, not singling you out - I think it's poor advice that the community perpetuates.
It would not matter if you keep updating, I do in fact I run the update on my machine at least once a week. But the same thing happened to me that happened to claudermilk. I ended up wiping everything and starting from scratch.

I think it was the major update from Klipper that required a controller re-flash, and in this case the borked update from Debian that created a perfect storm in the community here. I had been updating for a year-and-a-half without issue. I've run the last couple of component updates since the bad one without issue.

After a bad update like what I just experienced, it does make you a bit gun-shy pressing that button.

Now that I've gotten through it and have experience recovering from a complete system meltdown, I'm not so worried about it. I have always maintained remote backups of the cfg files, so the most time-consuming part of the printer config is safe.