What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Solved LDO trident can only load PLA

Ho-whizzle

Hi all,

This is strange or I am missing something.

Finished building my LDO trident and printed my first benchy with no issues, however when I try to load anything else like ABS or PETG, they will not load will skip when trying to feed the filament into the hot end. I took it apart a few times but was unable to find a fix.

Am I doing something wrong?

What hotend do you have? What is your loading routine? What temperature are you trying to load filaments at? What speed are you loading those? If you use 10 mm/s that's effectively 24 mm3/s volumetric flow rate and that's way too fast, slow down if you use that.
Have you tried any cleaning like needle from the bottom or cold pull?

What hotend do you have? What is your loading routine? What temperature are you trying to load filaments at? What speed are you loading those? If you use 10 mm/s that's effectively 24 mm3/s volumetric flow rate and that's way too fast, slow down if you use that.
thanks for the questions.
I use the VORON revo hotend with the Hugh flow rate 0.4mm revo nozzle that was supplied with the LDO kit. I hand feed all the filament so that I can add extra force pushing the filaments in but the PETG and ABS kept pushing back when trying to feed them in. I have tried numerous higher temps from 229 to 260. I have tried 5mm per sec to 25mm per sec with same issue of the filament skipping, I have even tried 1mm per sec but I will try again if that is the case. How do I control the flow rate if that is the issue?

I haven’t tried cold pulling as this something I have not heard before and I don’t know how to with revo hotend as it is the first time I am using one, I upgraded from a Elegoo Neptune 3 which doesn’t use a revo.

thanks for the questions.
I use the VORON revo hotend with the Hugh flow rate 0.4mm revo nozzle that was supplied with the LDO kit. I hand feed all the filament so that I can add extra force pushing the filaments in but the PETG and ABS kept pushing back when trying to feed them in. I have tried numerous higher temps from 229 to 260. I have tried 5mm per sec to 25mm per sec with same issue of the filament skipping, I have even tried 1mm per sec but I will try again if that is the case. How do I control the flow rate if that is the issue?
Which environment are you using?

Mainsail has controls for feedrate right on the main interface. That's how many millimeters per second of filament length it tries to push though the extruder,

When you try to push 10 mm/s of filament, that's Pi x r^2 x speed = volumetric rate. Meaning it's 3.14 x 0.875^2 x 10 = 24 mm3/s. Not sure if your hotend can keep up with that. When you try to feed 25 mm/s that's 60 mm3/s and I don't think that hotend is capable of that with 0.4 mm nozzle :) so - SLOW DOWN. Increase temperature to 260 degrees and extrude at 5 mm/s to load filament. Or even less. Try it and see if that helps, you may be simply overloading your hotend, it can not melt filament fast enough and your extruder skips.

It's probably a long shot, but can we confirm that you have the short piece of PTFE tubing installed between the extruder and the actual hotend?

Make sure you have set the correct thermistor for the Revo heater in printer.cfg - I made that mistake initially and found that it over-read the temperature (reported 250 when it was actually more like 220 - barely hot enough to melt ABS or PETG).

Have you edited printer.cfg for klipper at all? You should have done some setup in there to get started. You'll need to find the [extruder] section and I think it's "thermistor_type" - what does it say for that line at the moment?

Have you edited printer.cfg for klipper at all? You should have done some setup in there to get started. You'll need to find the [extruder] section and I think it's "thermistor_type" - what does it say for that line at the moment?
At the moment under thermistor it says it ''T0''

At the moment under thermistor it says it ''T0''
Majic asked about a specific config line: sensor_type. I believe you're just looking at the comments at the top, which simply describe what port its meant to be plugged in to

You should have configured most of this during the software configuration stage after the mechanical build: https://docs.vorondesign.com/build/software/configuration.html

This is my block for the extruder - lines that start with # are comments and ignored. The line you are looking for is "sensor_type" and you can see in my block it's "ATC Semitec 104NT...." (I got this from Klipper documentation and this is working well for my trident)

##################################################################### # Extruder ##################################################################### # Connected to MOTOR_6 # Heater - HE0 # Thermistor - T0 [extruder] step_pin: PE2 dir_pin: PE3 enable_pin: !PD4 ## Update value below when you perform extruder calibration ## If you ask for 100mm of filament, but in reality it is 98mm: ## rotation_distance = <previous_rotation_distance> * <actual_extrude_distance> / 100 ## 22.6789511 is a good starting point for Bondtech 5mm Drive Gears rotation_distance: 23.0337 # POLISI 3D MK2.5/MK3s Gear Kit ## Update Gear Ratio depending on your Extruder Type ## Use 50:10 for Stealthburner/Clockwork 2 ## Use 50:17 for Afterburner/Clockwork (BMG Gear Ratio) ## Use 80:20 for M4, M3.1 gear_ratio: 50:10 microsteps: 32 full_steps_per_rotation: 200 #200 for 1.8 degree, 400 for 0.9 degree nozzle_diameter: 0.400 filament_diameter: 1.75 ## Octopus 1.0 & 1.1. Octopus PRO 1.0 heater_pin: PA2 ## Check what thermistor type you have. See https://www.klipper3d.org/Config_Reference.html#common-thermistors for common thermistor types. ## Use "Generic 3950" for NTC 100k 3950 thermistors sensor_type: ATC Semitec 104NT-4-R025H42G sensor_pin: PF4 min_temp: 10 max_temp: 350 max_power: 1.0 min_extrude_temp: 150 control: pid pid_kp: 36.974 pid_ki: 4.930 pid_kd: 69.327