What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

LDO Voron v2.4 r2 and Nitehawk-sb extrusion problems

EdB

I have a LDO Voron v2.4 R2 and it was my go to printer for several months. But after awhile, I started get connection errors. The printer would lose connection to one of the thermistor or the stepper motor. I figured it was just a wire or two breaking in the harness. I saw the Nitehawk and figure it would be easier installing that and only worrying about a USB cable than all the wires in the harness.

After I got it install, I was able to get it configured and tried printing again. Before the wires started failing, I was getting perfect first layers and prints. But now, the print starts off good, but then starts showing signs of under extrusion. I have run through all the calibration tests and get good results, but still have problems with the first layer. I have tried to make sure there is as little friction in the filament path. Tried different tension settings with the feed. But nothing I do seems to make a difference.

I am hoping to get some suggestions on what else to try? I hate having the great printer just sitting gathering dust because I can't get it to print.

PXL_20240924_212348513.jpg

It is on all layers. It's just really visible on the first layer. Top surfaces shows it too. Thin wall models (single extrusion width) will have sections missing.

Have you tried slowing it down? That looks a bit to me like it's going too fast.

Have you tried slowing it down? That looks a bit to me like it's going too fast.
It is going the same speed as it was before the switch to the Nitehawk. I can try running it even slower. I have the replace the power switch first.

Bump the current to the extruder a little to see if it helps. Maybe the extruder is slipping.

I did up the current. It helped a little, but not much. It had been running at 0.6 I think and I went up to 0.9 and was still getting the same type of results.

I did up the current. It helped a little, but not much. It had been running at 0.6 I think and I went up to 0.9 and was still getting the same type of results.
Okay I would think its the nozzle or extruder then. One of them has an issue.

Okay I would think its the nozzle or extruder then. One of them has an issue.
Okay. I feel like an idiot - again. It was a nozzle issue. I had a 0.6 nozzle in instead of the 0.4 the model was sliced for. I haven't finished the print yet, but I can see it is doing a lot better now.

LOL I should have suggested checking that too. I've done that myself, so you're not alone. It's very confusing why the dang printer won't print right when nothing in the calibrations or physical printer (you thought ) had changed. I'm glad it was something simple like that. Now, like me, you'll never make that mistake again.