What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Missing /dev/serial/by-id/ - The fix isn't working

JJJ

Printer Model
V0.2
Extruder Type
Other
Cooling Type
Other
Thanks for looking!

The issue: ls -l /dev/serial/by-id/ results in ls: cannot access '/dev/serial/by-id/': No such file or directory

New V0.2 Build.
BTT SKR Pico V1
RPi 4 with 4GB RAM, and I tried an RPi 3 as well
I tried two USB Cables

I tried the first fix of updating the /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/60-serial.rules file. It did not work.
I also tried the fix found here, it did not work for me: https://klipper.discourse.group/t/debian-11-bullseye-udev-bug-no-board-or-serial-found/10711

Could I have a bad Pico board? Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Thanks for looking!

The issue: ls -l /dev/serial/by-id/ results in ls: cannot access '/dev/serial/by-id/': No such file or directory

New V0.2 Build.
BTT SKR Pico V1
RPi 4 with 4GB RAM, and I tried an RPi 3 as well
I tried two USB Cables

I tried the first fix of updating the /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/60-serial.rules file. It did not work.
I also tried the fix found here, it did not work for me: https://klipper.discourse.group/t/debian-11-bullseye-udev-bug-no-board-or-serial-found/10711

Could I have a bad Pico board? Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Before replacing anything, try this other alternative (it is pinned on the #Klipper channel on Discord):

* Backup the existing rules file (just in case)
sudo cp /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/60-serial.rules /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/60-serial.old
* Download the rule from the systemd main repo.
* Reboot
sudo reboot

Hi Vinny - I did the 60-serial.rules change and verified the change from the web was made to the file. It did not work after a reboot.

Hi Timmi - The Pico is stock out of the box, unchanged except for the DIAG jumpers for X & Y that I added. Was there another change required? I reviewed my docs and didn't see anything. Moving forward based on your question, I found more docs. Following this guide (https://docs.vorondesign.com/build/software/skrPico_klipper.html), I made the firmware update, added the boot jumper and restarted. The RPi is still not showing the /dev/serial. Do I need to add the firmware to the Pico that I just compiled first? Is that where I messed up this entire process?

Thanks!

Hi drizztguen77 - Thanks for the suggestion, updating that file did not work.

Hi shiftingtech
lsusb? Cool and Thanks! I never saw this one before.

I don't see any Pico connections with lsusb. I'm beginning to think the Pico is bad.
$ lsusb
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 2e8a:0003 Raspberry Pi RP2 Boot
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 2109:3431 VIA Labs, Inc. Hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

I connected the Pico to my PC. Every time I copy the firmware file ti it, it resets itself. A new Pico is on the way...

"Raspberry Pi RP2 Boot"

That's the pico. So your pico is there, but it's in bootloader mode, not running the firmware. (as of when you grabbed that)

Just for information.

Just finished my new LDO 0.2 Kit that came with a SKR Pico and a picobilical board.
Both of them should have been flushed and prepared to connect to my RPI. Only the Picobillical tried to connect but showing some errors in doing so ( dmesg -w ), the SKR Pico seemed dead.

I flashed both boards with the same binary I compiled on the Pi, then everything worked flawlessly.

If it was due to me running a 64bit Pi-image or because s.th. else changed in the protocol I do not know.

i had the same problem with my skr mini e3 2.0, i followed the official voron guide, and i had forgotten to follow "Ensure that “GPIO pins to set at micro-controller startup” includes ‘!PA14’", even though i fought i had read everything there, but apparently not, maybe it might help you out, it is worth a try.