What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Question Mosquito Nozzle Leaking

twiget

I'm using a Mosquito on my V0.1 with some cheap Chinese brass 0.4mm nozzles, and I'm continually getting plastic oozing through the threads and down the outside of the nozzle. I know, cheap nozzles, but I use the same nozzles on 2 other printers with no leaking issues. I've even taken nozzles that don't leak on my E3 and put them on my V0.1, and I get a leak. I contacted Slice Engineering and they sent me a new heater block, but that didn't fix the problem. I did put a tungsten carbide nozzle on the V0.1 and it didn't leak, but the carbide nozzle doesn't conduct heat nearly as well, so I have to run a crazy high temp, or super slow speeds in order to get good prints, which is a no-go.

Is anyone else having issues with their Mosquito leaking filament? And no, upgrading to a V0.2 isn't in the cards right now.

Are you using Boralite on the threads?
I would take it apart and rebuild it to make sure you close any gaps.

Is anyone else having issues with their Mosquito leaking filament? And no, upgrading to a V0.2 isn't in the cards right now.
I'm using Bondtech CHT nozzles on my Mosquito Magnum and no issues with leaking. I'm guessing the cheap brass nozzles you have are not quite to spec on the threads.

Are you using Boralite on the threads?
I would take it apart and rebuild it to make sure you close any gaps.

What is Boralite? All I get when I search for Boralite is Lian Li fans and a light weight racing bicycle. Even PrintedSolid and MatterHackers don't know what it is.

I'm using Bondtech CHT nozzles on my Mosquito Magnum and no issues with leaking. I'm guessing the cheap brass nozzles you have are not quite to spec on the threads.

I've been considering at CHT nozzle, but the smallest they have is a 0.6 and I've heard good things about the arachne engine and 0.6 nozzles. Have you noticed any degradation in print quality with the larger nozzle?

Last edited:
I've been considering at CHT nozzle, but the smallest they have is a 0.6 and I've heard good things about the arachne engine and 0.6 nozzles. Have you noticed any degradation in print quality with the larger nozzle?
Actually there are quite a few sizes available. Bondtech says they make 0.40, 0.50, 0.60, 0.80, 1.0, 1.4 and 1.8mm. I see all of those available on Bondtech's and other reseller's sites.

I'm using 0.4 mm nozzle and am planning on getting the 0.6 to to achieve faster printing and take advantage of the arachne improvements. I've been really happy with the 0.4 nozzle. I'm not sure exactly what my maximum flow rate can be, but my slicer profiles are using 33 mm3/s for ASA/ABS and 20 mm3/s for PETG.

What is Boralite? All I get when I search for Boralite is Lian Li fans and a light weight racing bicycle. Even PrintedSolid and MatterHackers don't know what it is.

Sorry, must have been foggy that day. I meant Boron Nitride Paste

Actually there are quite a few sizes available. Bondtech says they make 0.40, 0.50, 0.60, 0.80, 1.0, 1.4 and 1.8mm. I see all of those available on Bondtech's and other reseller's sites.

I'm using 0.4 mm nozzle and am planning on getting the 0.6 to to achieve faster printing and take advantage of the arachne improvements. I've been really happy with the 0.4 nozzle. I'm not sure exactly what my maximum flow rate can be, but my slicer profiles are using 33 mm3/s for ASA/ABS and 20 mm3/s for PETG.

I thought at one point Bondtech wasn't going to make 0.4mm nozzles, but I checked PrintedSolid, and they've got the 0.4mm in stock. I just ordered one, we'll see if that seals up my leak.

Sorry, must have been foggy that day. I meant Boron Nitride Paste

No worries. I do have boron nitride paste, used it on the heater and thermister. It didn't even occur to me to try it on the nozzle threads. If the CHT nozzle doesn't fix the issue, I'll try slopping some paste on the threads.

No worries. I do have boron nitride paste, used it on the heater and thermister. It didn't even occur to me to try it on the nozzle threads. If the CHT nozzle doesn't fix the issue, I'll try slopping some paste on the threads.
why not both, it can act as a seal as well as an anti-seize for high tempuratures

I dug a bit more into this issue and I found the issue. The cheap brass nozzles I was using are MK8's with 5mm long necks, but the mosquito uses V6 nozzles with 7.5mm necks. The shorter MK8's left a small gap between the nozzle and the bottom of the hotend threaded hole, which allowed the molten plastic to ooze through the threads. Lesson learned.