What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

printer did not start up anymore..... sd card slot loose!

3dCase

So I had the next problem to content with, the pi stopped starting up, just like that. I did fit a fan to it, which I did while the sd card was still in the slot, but I don't think I touched it with something. Still had to go and buy a HDMI micro adapter so I could read the pi out during startup. I also had an older pi with another printer cfg on it, so I started with that one to check it all worked and to see what I could expect. All was well and after the boot it showed the klipper screen with the message that the MCU could not be reached. This is logical as it was not connected to the printer. Tried the Voron pi that had stopped, and a whole list of retries with "cannot open device 'sd card' till infinity.
Ok I thought, the card has had it, put it in my usb reader and in linux terminal checked what is what, all looked fine???
Back to the pi and looked more carefully and found the metal jacket that holds the sd card in place was glued to the pcb with hotmelt glue, and was moving! So clearly that was the problem, the sd card had lost connection with one or more of its pins.

Question now is, do I dare fix this and HOW?
Second question, will I need to check the connection before gluing this metal jacked back in place or are the connectors part of the pcb and the metal jacket simply pushes the sd card against them?
If anybody has had to deal with this before, please share your experience with me.

Attachments

• pi slot.jpeg
    pi slot.jpeg
    126.5 KB · Views: 3
It it were me, I would replace the PI and try and fix this one as a backup.

It it were me, I would replace the PI and try and fix this one as a backup.
I agree but since Pi's don't grow like berries on my tree in the garden anymore, I attempted a fix using superglue. It seemed to have worked.
Before I did it I had a good look at what is this metal cover really, and does it contain anything in the way of electrical contacts. In fact the only two functions it has is the secure the sd card aganst the pcb, where the contacts are fixed to as long springy rods, and to lock the card in place with this very tiny spring mechanism that sits inside this metal cover.
So I thought its all or nothing and just don't soak the whole thing in superglue. Under the 10X magnifier with ring-light I managed to drip two tiny drops of the stuff and locked it down with a clothing peg. After about 30 minutes I wicked any glue that had not set away with tissue and it worked.
But in my voron is now an older Pi I still had. This repaired one will be for my other machine.

Yeah my fear would be getting super glue on the SD card but sounds like you were careful. Hope it holds.