What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Stepper Motor Vibration at power on

npowers

Printer Model
Voron 2.4R2 350mm
Extruder Type
Clockwork 2
Cooling Type
Stealthburner
Hi,

I have finished building and am currently tunning a Voron 2.4 350mm kit from Siboor. The printer successfully prints, and I have managed to get it well tuned but have one remaining vexing issue. At the initial flip of the power switch one of the stepper motors begins to vibrate like it is being randomly signaled, as soon as the system is fully booted the vibration goes away and the printer performs as expected. I am concerned with damaging a motor during startup. The issue seems isolated to the B motor.

Video of behvior:

I have tried a couple of things to narrow down the issue:
1. Swapped driver modules - no change
2. Removed driver from B motor - no vibration on startup
3. Added driver back in, swapped A and B motors - vibration now on A motor indicating potential issue with FYSTEC Spyder 2.3 board channel M0

So with this testing I think I have narrowed the issue to the channel on the controller board. Does anyone have some suggestions where to go from here? The configuration is the same between the A and B motor sections.

Thanks

Attachments

• klippy.log
    90.2 KB · Views: 0
Sorry but the video is not available for me. If you swapped the motors and the issue follows, it would be a bad motor. Maybe I misunderstood?

I am not sure I fully undeddtood what is happening:

1. What happens if you plug motor to any other socket, for example in place of Z3? Will Z3 be vibrating now? This will narrow it down to a motor, or socket on MCU.

2. If you leave the motor plugged where it is, and just swap the driver with any other, will the B motor vibrate, or the other motor will vibrate?

4. If you take try he B motor and B driver, and plug it into free socket on board, what happens? You should have one free socket, spider has 8, uou need 7 drivers. Just reconfigure pins for motor in printer.cfg.

5. Did you compile and flash the firmware to MCU? If yes, check if you don't have any pins enabled ftom the start. Here is a guide to install on 2.x https://docs.vorondesign.com/build/software/spider_klipper.html check against Fysetc pinout diagram and their documentation if you are configuring correctly.

Some other links: 2.4 spider config - again, verify against Fysetc documents for possible pinout changes.
Initial startup guide https://docs.vorondesign.com/build/startup/

It's not a configuration problem as is a low level settings that needed to be changed in make menuconfig before flashing

It's not a configuration problem as is a low level settings that needed to be changed in make menuconfig before flashing
I'll take a look and see if this can correct it. What makes me wonder though is the issue is only on one channel of the entire board. Did you see an issue with only the enable pin for channel M0?

I am not sure I fully undeddtood what is happening:

1. What happens if you plug motor to any other socket, for example in place of Z3? Will Z3 be vibrating now? This will narrow it down to a motor, or socket on MCU.

2. If you leave the motor plugged where it is, and just swap the driver with any other, will the B motor vibrate, or the other motor will vibrate?

4. If you take try he B motor and B driver, and plug it into free socket on board, what happens? You should have one free socket, spider has 8, uou need 7 drivers. Just reconfigure pins for motor in printer.cfg.

5. Did you compile and flash the firmware to MCU? If yes, check if you don't have any pins enabled ftom the start. Here is a guide to install on 2.x https://docs.vorondesign.com/build/software/spider_klipper.html check against Fysetc pinout diagram and their documentation if you are configuring correctly.

Some other links: 2.4 spider config - again, verify against Fysetc documents for possible pinout changes.
Initial startup guide https://docs.vorondesign.com/build/startup/
1. Motor stop vibrating but whichever motor was plugged in to M0 starts to have the vibration issue making me think it is an issue with the channel on the Spider board.
2. No change, B motor remains the one that is vibrating
4. I swapped everything to channel M7 and the vibration stopped
5. I have not modified the MCU firmware from what came stock in my kit

1. Motor stop vibrating but whichever motor was plugged in to M0 starts to have the vibration issue making me think it is an issue with the channel on the Spider board.
2. No change, B motor remains the one that is vibrating
4. I swapped everything to channel M7 and the vibration stopped
5. I have not modified the MCU firmware from what came stock in my kit
Hi, in that case you may want to recompile your own firmware for the board. Guide is in one of the links I posted above. God knows what Siboor puts in their firmware, so it will be good if you do it on your own as it should be. It can have Enable and maybe other pins turned on too. I would not trust their firmware.

Hi, in that case you may want to recompile your own firmware for the board. Guide is in one of the links I posted above. God knows what Siboor puts in their firmware, so it will be good if you do it on your own as it should be. It can have Enable and maybe other pins turned on too. I would not trust their firmware.
Ok, I'll get working on that. Since I am doing a recompile is it worth updating Klipper at the same time using KIAUH? My system is currently on v0.10.0-557.

I would update Klipper normally through web interface, honestly I have never done it using KIAUH.

I am looking for
I'll take a look and see if this can correct it. What makes me wonder though is the issue is only on one channel of the entire board. Did you see an issue with only the enable pin for channel M0?
@cosminr86 Do you remember where in menuconfig you were able to invert the enable pins or were you setting the stepper motor enable pins in the GPIO section? PE9 for X, PD9 for Y

I am looking for

@cosminr86 Do you remember where in menuconfig you were able to invert the enable pins or were you setting the stepper motor enable pins in the GPIO section? PE9 for X, PD9 for Y
Hi, in menuconfig, it is "GPIO pins to set at micocontroller startup" option where you write pin number. Usually things like fans are being set there, for toolhead to be full blast as a safety precaution upon startup until Klipper on Pi takes control. Try not setting up anything and see what it does.

If the motor keeps being activated despite firmware not having anything enabled, it is quite possible there really is hardware error.

Hi, in menuconfig, it is "GPIO pins to set at micocontroller startup" option where you write pin number. Usually things like fans are being set there, for toolhead to be full blast as a safety precaution upon startup until Klipper on Pi takes control. Try not setting up anything and see what it does.

If the motor keeps being activated despite firmware not having anything enabled, it is quite possible there really is hardware error.
So I did a recompile with the disable pins setup and the problem persists. Next step is a new controller board.

I am looking for

pins: PE9,PD9,PD15,PE5,PE3,PE8

With my mainboard the z steppers was powered at startup. If klipper was in an error state when the mainboard gets powered on, my z steppers was energised.
I still got a small "kick in" when power on, but is fine.
I use a relay to power 24v separately from mainsail, as my pi is always on.