What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

$750 Local Voron 2.4 300 - Too good to be true?

synthandkeys

I have been interested in Vorons for some time now but thought the cost of a Voron 2.4 build was too cost prohibitive at around $1500. But, a local seller on Facebook Marketplace is selling a Voron 2.4 300 for $750 with a
  • Revo hot-end,
  • Euclid probe,
  • Brushy add-on, and
  • Front doors.
It's brand new and the seller simply stated that 3D printing wasn't for him and that he enjoyed the build process more than anything.

I currently have a Prusa Mini, but have been considering upgrading because size is a bit of a prohibitive factor with it.

This seems a little too good to be true. Or I just hit the jackpot.

Hi, be aware that with project printers like VORON it's like with project cars: not only you get a product, but also all the problems that previous owner had. If you are newbie to DIY printers, I normally I suggest you build your own printer first, get familiar with all the components and effect of their quality (or lack thereof) on performance etc. But I do not know what kind of build it is, and you probably do not know what to ask for (yet). Do they mention WHAT kind of build it is? Is it from LDO, Formbot, or first gen Siboor kit? Or self-sourced? What brands of rails, motors, MCU, etc. is there? How many printed hours? How did they maintain it, if at all? Does it come with Pi? Can you ask to demonstrate that it works? Those are pretty important questions.

The price may be OK if person just wants to get rid of it, people bought built printers for even less. Any chance you have a friend who can come with you to help you evaluate the build?

Hi, be aware that with project printers like VORON it's like with project cars: not only you get a product, but also all the problems that previous owner had. If you are newbie to DIY printers, I normally I suggest you build your own printer first, get familiar with all the components and effect of their quality (or lack thereof) on performance etc. But I do not know what kind of build it is, and you probably do not know what to ask for (yet). Do they mention WHAT kind of build it is? Is it from LDO, Formbot, or first gen Siboor kit? Or self-sourced? What brands of rails, motors, MCU, etc. is there? How many printed hours? How did they maintain it, if at all? Does it come with Pi? Can you ask to demonstrate that it works? Those are pretty important questions.

The price may be OK if person just wants to get rid of it, people bought built printers for even less. Any chance you have a friend who can come with you to help you evaluate the build?
Thank you for the detailed response!

This would be my first DIY printer, though I have experience in upgrading, tinkering, and replacing parts on my Mini (which was also used when I got it). I love the calibration aspect of 3D printing, so that's not a problem with me. The only thing I don't want to do is have to completely break it down and build it again.

I asked the questions you posed and it looks like formbot kit that does come with a Pi. The frame is Misumi 2020, motors are Moons, and motherboard is Bigtree.

Hours are limited. He states just a couple of calibration cubes.

And, unfortunately, I am that 3D printing guy in my friend circle so no luck in getting a second evaluation.

Formbot is a solid kit, although it may depend on how old it is. But kits from last 12-18 months are OK. I would normally recommend to at least partially tear it down and check whether rails are lubed, re-run belts, tighten screws and such, but you will probably get to those tasks during regular maintenances or troubleshooting. Go at least through manual and watch assembly videos to get familiar with how the machine is designed and functions. And then you have Klipper... that's a whole different beast.

Sounds like a good find. I'd want to see that it runs, which it should if it's new. Worst case is you have to tear it down to a greater or lesser extent. Any hiccups and you have the community here to assist.

I went from a Prusa Mini kit to a self-sourced Trident build, so it's not that scary of a jump.

I think there are a lot of end users that just enjoy building the printers. You can always join the Voron Discord and check the marketplace for the same deals.