What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

A bear of little brain!

peter.rue

Sure, I can build a 3D printer! Buy a kit they said (on the internet). I have a BSc and a PhD and i made lot of Airfix models so what can be so hard! So, following a gift of an Ender 3 and the purchase of an Ender 6, I bought a Voron 2.4 kit. I followed the instructions and am happy with the mechanical construction part but now I have ground to a halt. There are two options; one, I blunder on and replace all the bits that I fry on the way or, two I find a helpful person in East Anglia that would be prepared to help. Is there such a person? I would be more than happy to travel.
Currently I am running a K1 Max and an Ender 6 but I dearly want to get my Voron working so if you are out there (as in East Anglia) please let me know and save my sanity!

Hi Peter, if you're stuck, join the discord and pop your head into #brexited as well as possibly getting an answer here. We've had a dig and none of the regulars on discord that we are aware of are near you. We may be able to help you remotely if no-one pops up and is nearby.

Hi Peter, if you're stuck, join the discord and pop your head into #brexited as well as possibly getting an answer here. We've had a dig and none of the regulars on discord that we are aware of are near you. We may be able to help you remotely if no-one pops up and is nearby.
Thank you. I will join the discord group but what is #brexited? Google is not much help! I am not surprised, East Angular (as Jade Goody would have it) is not at the forefront of technological innovation (other than cambridge of course). I am going to keep moving forward slowly but, statistically, time is not on my side. Not only do I need to learn how to construct a Voron, but I need to learn programming for a Raspberry Pi and how to use a serious CAD suite; so much to do and so little time :) . Thank God for retirement!

Please don't include me with the Brexiteers! The greatest act of national self harm since Suez! Now we are a small island off the west coast of Belgium! Seriously though, what has this got to do with building (or trying to build) a Voron?
It's the name of local channel on official VORON Discord, people from local community decided on the name when channel was created. It does not represent political views of people involved. Most are sad it happened.
1705283207704.png

Just to add to what Sanity said, many of the regional channel names are quite...tongue in cheek. But they are all selected by the members of the channel. Please don't think of it as any body else poking fun at you, just your regional folks poking a little fun at themselves

I understand the trepidation with tackling the electrical the first time. That is one of the hardest, scariest parts of my Trident build. First thing is go over the documentation a t https://docs.vorondesign.com/ very carefully, and pay particular attention to the wiring diagrams in the manual. Per Nero's suggestion, get the mains wiring from the plug to the power supply set up and working, then get the controller powered up, then get the Pi powered up. That way you only deal with one piece at a time and minimize the potential fried parts.

I wired my printers up that way. I took some pictures of the initial mains wiring and asked on the Discord to verify things; I got some helpful suggestions on changes to make, which allowed me to power up without frying anything. I did the same at the controller board, and repeated the process. The Pi was somewhat easy by then.

The main thing is go over the docs a few times, wire things up, and re-check your work a few times before applying power.

I understand the trepidation with tackling the electrical the first time. That is one of the hardest, scariest parts of my Trident build. First thing is go over the documentation a t https://docs.vorondesign.com/ very carefully, and pay particular attention to the wiring diagrams in the manual. Per Nero's suggestion, get the mains wiring from the plug to the power supply set up and working, then get the controller powered up, then get the Pi powered up. That way you only deal with one piece at a time and minimize the potential fried parts.

I wired my printers up that way. I took some pictures of the initial mains wiring and asked on the Discord to verify things; I got some helpful suggestions on changes to make, which allowed me to power up without frying anything. I did the same at the controller board, and repeated the process. The Pi was somewhat easy by then.

The main thing is go over the docs a few times, wire things up, and re-check your work a few times before applying power.
Thank you. sounds both sensible and helpful. I'm off to print out the documents!

Yo - where in east Anglia? I'm near Lincoln
Hi, we live in Watton, pretty much the mddle of Norfolk. It's about 2 hours from Lincoln but that would not be aproblem for me. Have you built a Voron? How did you manage? I have some of the wires in place but when it comes to the Raspberry Pi and firmware I am absolutely clueless! If you are prepared to help I would be very grateful. Regards Peter

I built a trident and no issues with electronics etc - it's one of my hobbies (designed several PCB's, my first 3D printer I also printed the circuit board and heated bed because I could) and my brother (and a couple of my friends) are electricians, so even the mains wiring was not a worry. Happy to help out, surprising how far you can go with little more than a multimeter. Have you got a kit with a wiring harness, or building that out yourself?

I built a trident and no issues with electronics etc - it's one of my hobbies (designed several PCB's, my first 3D printer I also printed the circuit board and heated bed because I could) and my brother (and a couple of my friends) are electricians, so even the mains wiring was not a worry. Happy to help out, surprising how far you can go with little more than a multimeter. Have you got a kit with a wiring harness, or building that out yourself?
Oh, so all the advantages of knowledgeable relatives :) My chemistry background is not helping much! No, I am building it from scratch but I don't think it will be difficult to tidy it up once the wires are in place. I'm very impressed with you making your own PCB''s. Perhaps it would be sensible if I go as far as I confidently can and then contact you to arrange for me to visit Lincoln for you to help me with the next steps?

That can work, and I've contacts with the local hackspace as well - I'm fast running out of space for larger projects. I'm more than happy to jump on a teams/zoom call and guide you remotely as well if that helps

That can work, and I've contacts with the local hackspace as well - I'm fast running out of space for larger projects. I'm more than happy to jump on a teams/zoom call and guide you remotely as well if that helps
It does indeed and thank you. I will take the build as far as I can and then get back in touch if that is OK for you?

So my first question to the cognoscenti is about the heater pad. My 300 x 300 kit came with a 250 x 250 220v 450w pad. Should I replace it with a 300 x 300 pad or will it make no difference? Thanks for reading!:)

My 350 has a heater that does not go edge to edge. I don't have an IR camera to see if there is a problem at the edge. Its a pretty big and thick chunk of aluminum that is a good conductor of heat so it should be spreading out.

I guess all that to say, I wouldn't worry about it - Keep calm and build on!

I wouldn't worry too much about it. My pad is not an edge-to-edge and I don't have issues. Honestly, most print jobs don't put parts out at the edge anyway. That said, a couple I've been doing lately did push at least my purge line right to the edge and everything stuck just fine.