What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Anybody tried a Beacon probe

Without sounding like a fanboy, I love the Beacon and concur with m00dawg, it's outstanding performance with first layer accuracy.

I do recall a Nitehawk/USB toolhead coming soon.

Without sounding like a fanboy, I love the Beacon and concur with m00dawg, it's outstanding performance with first layer accuracy.

I do recall a Nitehawk/USB toolhead coming soon.
Yep I recall you mentioned that earlier? It's why I'm holding off just a bit on NH. Switching the 2.4 to an umbi will be a it of a feat for me so wanna make sure I have all the ducks in a row. I'm still gonna try to figure out how to try and make a Beacon work on the 2.4 in the meantime though. I wonder if I can just run it up to the PTFE filament tube and then just drop it down to run under the electronics or something.

Anyways yeah I couldn't agree more, the Beacon is just incredibly good! I have a specific use case I'll admit and I don't want to take anything away from TAP or other solutions. I just much prefer touchless solutions for the types of things I print and goodness Beacon is, by far, the best touchless solution I have ever used or seen. Worth every penny.

The sensitive nozzle probe makes it possible to get good z offset on smooth pei buildplate without leaving marks.
It does not need the whatever kg of force like tap

I don't own a beacon, but I have not heard about any accuracy issues. Are you asking in general, the coil or the new unreleased nozzle probe?
the nozzle probe. I guess there'd be some benefit to it.

• Inductive probe was really cool. My printer before it had a BL-Touch, but the Inductive Probe had lots of reliability issues. Maybe it was my probe brand. Can't remember.
  • Went to klicky and auto-z calibrate, which was awesome when it was working but my magnets would always die and I'd have to replace the switches often.
  • Tap is really nice, but I want to be fancy(and faster), so I've been looking at Beacon.

Is that an inductive probe?

OMFG THAT'S FAST!

Needed to see that on a 350. Thanks! Works so good, you even do 2 sweeps! :ROFLMAO: Poor duckie!!

I like the price. Do you mesh and QGL(if applicable) as fast as the videos in this thread?
I do
I've used the Inductive probe, went to klicky, and to tap.
  • Inductive probe was really cool. My printer before it had a BL-Touch, but the Inductive Probe had lots of reliability issues. Maybe it was my probe brand. Can't remember.
  • Went to klicky and auto-z calibrate, which was awesome when it was working but my magnets would always die and I'd have to replace the switches often.
  • Tap is really nice, but I want to be fancy(and faster), so I've been looking at Beacon.

Is that an inductive probe?

OMFG THAT'S FAST!

Needed to see that on a 350. Thanks! Works so good, you even do 2 sweeps! :ROFLMAO: Poor duckie!!

I like the price. Do you mesh and QGL(if applicable) as fast as the videos in this thread?
If you got rid of the chains and went to CAN your best bet is the Cartographer3D solution. I started with BL-Touch and it melted on ABS. TAP was very painful and unreliable since it touches the bed.
If you do the MESH it is that fast and I have seen a youtube where it goes much faster.
If you have any real questions on Cartograper3D, they are on Discord and RichardTHF will usually answer any question right away. Beacon does not support CAN and running another USB cable is dumb.

I do

If you got rid of the chains and went to CAN your best bet is the Cartographer3D solution. I started with BL-Touch and it melted on ABS. TAP was very painful and unreliable since it touches the bed.
If you do the MESH it is that fast and I have seen a youtube where it goes much faster.
If you have any real questions on Cartograper3D, they are on Discord and RichardTHF will usually answer any question right away. Beacon does not support CAN and running another USB cable is dumb.
gonna wait to see what this next NH with a hub looks like before I decide on which one i'm getting.
I have plenty to do to my printer in the mean-time...

F.Y.I
I just upgraded to the new sw version with includes the touch probing of the bed. I like it.
It takes some time to upgrade the klipper sw, beacon firmware and upgrade your printer.cfg plus eventualy your start macro.

After that it works like a charm.
My BIG thx to beacon, that they made that upgrade plus delivering it for free.

The board has a 4 pin connector, but I only see 3 wires. I should just be able to splice the cable to make a new connector for the 3-pin on the NH, right?
CABLE.png