What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Anybody tried a Beacon probe

THX
Creaping is a thing I hate...
Have to think if i should cnc the complete head of aluminum. ( not font of that much of work, so will see if i can live without it, also alu might disturb the function of the probe. tbd.

THX
Creaping is a thing I hate...
Have to think if i should cnc the complete head of aluminum. ( not font of that much of work, so will see if i can live without it, also alu might disturb the function of the probe. tbd.
as aluminium is not magnetic it should not matter I guess.

Use this for your CANbus PTFE to hold it together. Might have to scale it up a little to fit your PTFE but do some test fits. Works great for me.

Not my design, I grabbed it from Discord

Attachments

• cable_clamp.stl
    253 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_2697 (Small).JPG
    IMG_2697 (Small).JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 144
I really like how easy the beacon checks the surface height.
My research showed it might not work well with a build plate that has magnets screwed into it.
Since it senses using magnetism.

It will not work with beds like the Mandala Roseworks with strong magnets, but works with the normals beds with magnetic layer on it without problems.

Looks cool, but it seems like a fancy inductive probe. I think I'll stick with my Tap.

That's the beauty of choice. A fancy inductive probe is exactly what I'm after. That's not meant to take anything from tap at all, it looks ingenious and very accurate. I'm just more used to Super PINDAs and prefer solutions that do not need to touch the bed. But that's just my preference and there's certainly good reasons to consider Tap. There doesn't have to be one solution, nor perhaps should there be (especially for a build ones own printer like a Voron). There are upsides and downsides to both solutions.

A gentle reminder for those with embedded magnet beds. The sensor will not work for those beds! (It will work but apparently badly)

Got mine installed and working. It's pretty nice.
The rainbow LED while it does that is a nice touch :) I was gonna ask if the USB cable was long enough but I see you're running an umbilical (and thus a CAN toolhead?). I was worried about the USB cable being long enough for the regular (non-umbilical) setup on a 350. That plus having to mess with the cable chains again have been the main reasons I haven't picked one up - yet!

The rainbow LED while it does that is a nice touch :) I was gonna ask if the USB cable was long enough but I see you're running an umbilical (and thus a CAN toolhead?). I was worried about the USB cable being long enough for the regular (non-umbilical) setup on a 350. That plus having to mess with the cable chains again have been the main reasons I haven't picked one up - yet!
USB cable is about 1.8m long, so absolutely enough :) I routet it with the Umbilical, works fine. Would love to be able to connect it to PCB on toolhead...
20230409_214255.jpg

Yes, plenty of length from the USB.
I don't think they can add a connection to a toolhead PCB since the communication needs to be very fast. So I don't think CANbus is even on the table at this point. Maybe a USB pass through but noting in the near future.

Hmmm follow up Q makes me wonder then if they can cram a USB interface on the Beacon, then making a USB toolhead sounds in reach, although to then hook the Beacon up to it, it would also need a hub on board? Kinda crazy we finally have some cool uses for CAN and Beacon comes out and is like "Lol that's not fast enough" :) Oh well, progress is progress! Even going down to 2 cables is still a worthy jump for me. I've had to replace my main cable bundles once already in my 2.4 and my SB LED cable has a break in it that I've been putting off.

Hmmm follow up Q makes me wonder then if they can cram a USB interface on the Beacon, then making a USB toolhead sounds in reach, although to then hook the Beacon up to it, it would also need a hub on board? Kinda crazy we finally have some cool uses for CAN and Beacon comes out and is like "Lol that's not fast enough" :) Oh well, progress is progress! Even going down to 2 cables is still a worthy jump for me. I've had to replace my main cable bundles once already in my 2.4 and my SB LED cable has a break in it that I've been putting off.
USB Type A 2.0 which is what Beacon uses, only uses 4 wires. So with CAN and Beacon I am backup to 8 wires plus PTFE going to the tool head. About half what it was with Chains.
Still better over all. Oh, I forgot to mention the Beacon USB cable is motion rated. You can't just slab any USB on there and think it will last more then a few dozen prints.

The BTT SB2240 has a USB C port on the PCB

There is no USB-cable with the SB2209. Just a CanBus-Cable. But you can use a regular USB-C cable.

There is 5V in the SB2209, so you can reduce the Umbilical to 2 Can, 2 USB, 24V and GND.