What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Can bus wiring query

Hot Toddy

Hi,
My current Trident 350 setup has an Octopus 1.1 supporting a canbus connection to an SB2040 toolhead board and a Cartographer scanner probe. The Can Bus is terminated at the Octopus and Carto, with the SB2040 spliced as a spur between the two.

I now want to add a Tradrack MMU into the mix using a BTT MMB Can board. Is it OK to splice yet another spur (off the Octopus Can lines) to the BTT MMB ? Logically, this seems just like daisy-chaining the boards together, which I believe is what the Can bus spec requires. But not too sure. (Not sure why Can board vendors don’t provide ready made daisy-chaining by offering a Can-in and Can-out connections.)

The other option I have is to simply run the MMB serially over USB, in addition to 24v power lines, without the need to mess with the current Can setup. Functionally, it should make no difference if I use Can or USB. But I’d appreciate others’ experience and recommendations for which way I should go and why.

Many thanks.