What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Question Correcting Bed Temperature Offset - Displayed Versus IR Measurement

LoadMaster7

I have about 15° lower measured bed temp compared to what is requested in Klipper. If I set 110° C and I measure the bed with an IR hand held temperature unit, it shows 95° C at the center of the bedplate.

Maybe my hand held IR gauge doesn't measure properly off the bed surface? I have a multimeter with a thermal couple I'll try a little later to compare.

If there is a bedplate temperature offset, is there a way to adjust this in Klipper?

Since the aluminium plate is quite thick I would expect a differnece between the heater temp and the surface. Have you measured it also after heating up for 10 Min.?

I would not trust a handheld. It can be off.
Taping a temporary thermistor to the top of the build plate would probably net you better results.
You can offset in the config, but I would just compensate by adding the offset to the slicer or change out the thermistor.

In my opinion it’s a little of all things. There is some temperature drop from the bottom of the build plate to the top and there is some time for the whole build plate to settle and equalize. There is usually some error in the non-contact thermometer due to different surfaces (glossy, matte, etc).

In my opinion it’s a little of all things. There is some temperature drop from the bottom of the build plate to the top and there is some time for the whole build plate to settle and equalize. There is usually some error in the non-contact thermometer due to different surfaces (glossy, matte, etc).
And lets not forget the thermistor called out in the config could also be to blame. Double check the heater pad your using with a built in thermistor is being called out in your config per the manufacturer's recommendation. Get the thermistor type from the source of your heater, not a quick google.

Since the aluminium plate is quite thick I would expect a differnece between the heater temp and the surface. Have you measured it also after heating up for 10 Min.?
Good thought, but my measurement was after 30 minutes at temp. Thanks to all who replied. All good info and I will follow through this all suggestions. (y)