What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Question de-racking trident gantry

evan

Printer Model
LDO Trident 300
Extruder Type
Galileo
Cooling Type
Stealthburner
Hi all.

A year ago I completed my Voron Trident300 (LDO kit). But I never did solve an issue I had with it, see here for details https://forum.vorondesign.com/threads/extrusion-or-bed-level-trident-300-build.715/

Because of the above issue it has sat unused for 6 months or more, can't remember exactly. I had reached a point where I had to 'take a break'. The kind where you don't intend on picking up where you left off :)

Fast forward to now and feeling a little more positive about it all I have totally disassembled the printer, re-printed all the parts in ASA and reassembled up to the x gantry assembly stage. In the process I have installed the trident pins mod and the BFI idlers.

Which brings me to a question I have concerning the bearings running roughly on the y rails. Would anyone have a proven process for de-racking the trident gantry? I have watched the usual de-racking videos from Nero etc.

The gantry runs smoothly from front to back when the x joint fasteners are left slightly loose. if I tighten (lightly - moderate) the movement feels as though bearings are catching / not rolling along the rails.

Just hoping someone may have a process or order to how they assemble and tighten the x gantry that works well?

Thanks all for listening!

I found it helps to loosen the screws holding the XY-axis bracket (grey plastic pieces holding the bearing stacks) to the X-axis gantry, as well as the bolts holding the XY-Axis to the Y axis rails. Then as you de-rack, gently tighten (maybe 1/4 turn at a time) the three bolts/screws (remember the one on the underside of the rail) and the small screws going into the linear rails.

The other issue you need to check before you De-rack is that the rails run at the same height and there's no vertical offset between left and right sides - make sure the frame is square and the Y-axis are at equal heights, also make sure there's no twist in the rails pivoting around the endpoint mountings. I know the exact feel you describe, and it feels like it's a possible height offset (maybe something isn't seated right) and the XY-axis joints aren't running in exactly the same plane. You could check this by mounting a long flat bar to one rail carriage and make sure it seats nicely against the other rail carriage without being too high or too low

Thank you majic79! I will try your approach over the weekend.

The frame is definitely square, or at least no more than 0.5 mm out, which I am assuming is ok. I believe I read somewhere that up to a mm out is ok.