What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Do I need a diode?

cecilx22

Printer Model
Voron 2.4 r2
Extruder Type
Clockwork 2
Cooling Type
Stealthburner
Doing a self sourced build, following the BOM and sourcing guides from the configurator. I have an octopus 1.1 board, and I'm seeing conflicting info on wether I need a diode or not. The build guide says a diode is for sure needed, but the octopus diagram in the same guide says it is not needed. Please help! How do I know if I need the diode or not? I really don't want to lose any magic blue smoke!

Edit - I guess this is obvious, but I am using the inductive probe. Also, while we are at it, some build logs use some sort of tape on the probe... Is this needed? What is it and where do I get it? Thanks!

I never used the default probe but I really doubt you need the Diode, especially since the Octo docs say it's not needed.

Kapton tape is what they use around the probe to help it not melt. It can be found on Amazon.

Doing a self sourced build, following the BOM and sourcing guides from the configurator. I have an octopus 1.1 board, and I'm seeing conflicting info on wether I need a diode or not. The build guide says a diode is for sure needed, but the octopus diagram in the same guide says it is not needed. Please help! How do I know if I need the diode or not? I really don't want to lose any magic blue smoke!

Edit - I guess this is obvious, but I am using the inductive probe. Also, while we are at it, some build logs use some sort of tape on the probe... Is this needed? What is it and where do I get it? Thanks!
Since you are using the octopus 1.1, the correct wiring is to use the endstop port, not the probe port. Since you are putting a 24v sensor on a pin that's rated for 5v, you should use the diode. It's technically kinda okay without. Under normal circumstances, no 24v actually comes down that signal line. But skimping on a 10 cent diode is such a stupid reason to destroy an octopus when something goes wrong...

Okay so here is my opinion. The "use end stop" port goes all the back to the OG ender 3 and bltouch. Everything has evolved to include probe ports including bltouch and inductive port. Yet people are saying not to use them. My opinion is this is wrong. If you have something that is designed to use the thing. Put the thing in the port that's made for it and not some old work around. The last time I used the work around was on a creality 1.1.4 board back in like 2018. I've always used probe ports because that's what they are made for. If a board I use doesn't have those ports I get a board that does. I don't like work arounds to an issue that was already addressed years ago.

Thank you both! The history is actually super helpful!

In my case, I'm going to leave it wired into the endstop for the moment (work is already done), but when I get around to rewiring I'll move it then. Thanks so much!

Okay so here is my opinion. The "use end stop" port goes all the back to the OG ender 3 and bltouch. Everything has evolved to include probe ports including bltouch and inductive port. Yet people are saying not to use them. My opinion is this is wrong. If you have something that is designed to use the thing. Put the thing in the port that's made for it and not some old work around. The last time I used the work around was on a creality 1.1.4 board back in like 2018. I've always used probe ports because that's what they are made for. If a board I use doesn't have those ports I get a board that does. I don't like work arounds to an issue that was already addressed years ago.
Well the standard issue octopus' probe port isn't compatible with NPN/open collector probes, so, ya know...there is *some* reason not to use it...
On the pro, they added a jumper to configure things for NPN, so that's fine. but the non-pro? nope.