What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Double check before I order electronics

Ryan_M

I'm working on a printer, It's a bit of a custom job to use up parts I have in stock, but for the sake of discussion lets call it a Trident. I'll be using the SB+CW2+Tap (w/optical sensor on PCB), I will probably put a simple 12864 LCD on it but that likely doesn't matter here. I currently run an Ender3v2 with klipper on a RPi 3B and SB+CW2+CRTouch so I have a smattering of experience, but I want to go CAN bus on an umbilical for the new build. I've been doing some reading but think I'm starting to confuse myself now with all the different options and nuances involved so I want to double check I'm getting the right things before I order.

I was going to get a RPi 4B (2GB), BTT Octopus v1.1 w/TMC2209 drivers, and a SB2040. From what I've read the Octopus can handle the CAN bus duty but I've heard it can be better to get a separate U2C? It'll be a few months before the printer is ready to go but I'd like to get the electronics in hand so I have time to get that figured out. Anything else I need? Should I be considering something different for better features or future proofing? Thanks for any input!

Hi there, for a clean look and you ca go for the btt manta m8p it has an integrated u2c and a Rp if you go for the cb1 combo
Happy new year and good luck!

I'm working on a printer, It's a bit of a custom job to use up parts I have in stock, but for the sake of discussion lets call it a Trident. I'll be using the SB+CW2+Tap (w/optical sensor on PCB), I will probably put a simple 12864 LCD on it but that likely doesn't matter here. I currently run an Ender3v2 with klipper on a RPi 3B and SB+CW2+CRTouch so I have a smattering of experience, but I want to go CAN bus on an umbilical for the new build. I've been doing some reading but think I'm starting to confuse myself now with all the different options and nuances involved so I want to double check I'm getting the right things before I order.

I was going to get a RPi 4B (2GB), BTT Octopus v1.1 w/TMC2209 drivers, and a SB2040. From what I've read the Octopus can handle the CAN bus duty but I've heard it can be better to get a separate U2C? It'll be a few months before the printer is ready to go but I'd like to get the electronics in hand so I have time to get that figured out. Anything else I need? Should I be considering something different for better features or future proofing? Thanks for any input!
I know I'm a bit late but I think you owe yourself a good look at the LDO Nitehawk tool board. Currently configured for SB toolheads the Nitehawk combines the 4-wire umbilical feature of CANBUS with all the usual toolboard connections for everything currently available in a SB toolhead like LEDs, fans, 2x thermistors and heater core. But the Nitehawk's real trick is that it also includes additional features like onboard accelerometer chip, a 2209 stepper controller for your extruder stepper and an ABL probe.

Oh and because the toolboard uses standard USB to talk to the onboard MCU you get all this without the need for additional coding and configuration of the CANBUS accessories. The kit has everything you need and the config files are online.

These are just getting out to dealers now but have been testing for some time. Look on the LDO site for details. I have one on order for a new Trident.