What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Dual color print with one extruder

Bluescreen2001

Hi

I want to try manual dual color print on my Voron2 300. I use Cura. I created in Cura a printer with two extruders and use this article to implement the filament change:
https://github.com/scholtzan/cura-multicolor-single-extruder

I used the script method Oprion 1b "Pause At Height On Tool Change". But this created two issues.
  1. Printer complaines about "Extruder not configured"
    This have to do with the temperature setting for the second extruder (T1)
  2. Printer complaines about "Extrude only move too long (-200.000mm vs 50.000mm)"
    This have to do with the retraction of filament during change
I can print it if I comment out all the commands including T1, and the retract commands.
This is the code generated by Cura with these scripts. The lines marked with ;-- have to be removed to print it at all. But then another problem arises. See below the code snippets.

Startup:
=============
;POSTPROCESSED
;Generated with Cura_SteamEngine main
T0
M190 S65
M104 S200
;-- M104 T1 S195
M109 S200
;-- M109 T1 S195
M82 ;absolute extrusion mode
print_start
M83 ;relative extrusion mode
G1 F2400 E-3
;LAYER_COUNT:113

Filament change:
==============
;TYPE:CUSTOM
;added code by post processing
;script: PauseAtHeightOnToolChange.py
M83 ; switch to relative E values for any needed retraction
G1 F300 Z1.4 ; move up a millimeter to get out of the way
G1 F9000 X190 Y190
G1 F9000 Z15 ; too close to bed--move to at least 15mm
M104 S0 ; standby temperature
;-- G1 F1500 E-200
;-- G1 F1500 E-100
M226 ; Do the actual pause
;-- G1 F1500 E100
;-- G1 F1500 E100
;-- G1 F1500 E100
M226 ; Do the another pause
M82
M82 ;absolute extrusion mode

With all the commands commented out, printer prints material 1 first, then moves head to change position but resumes printing material 2 after some seconds without waiting for material change. It seems M226 command has some timeout.

So there are three questions:

1. How can I avoid the "Extruder not configured" error, best would be to disable these commands in Cura. Configuring a second "ghost" extruder may be another solution, but is not very logical.
  2. How can I avoid the "Extrude only move too long" error. I think there is an option for that "max_extrude_only_distance". But is that a good idea. Maybe better to alter the script to not retract filament at all and do it by hand during material change. I even find this a more reliable option.
  3. How to do an infinite pause which can be manually unpaused after material change via Webinterface (Mainsail) or even via LCD.