What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

E-Step calibration

EvilleRock

I'm trying to figure out my under-extrusion problem, so first I'm digging into E-Step calibration. Ellis3dp instructs to test at 1mm/sec and I get consistent results there. That doesn't seem like a realistic speed to me. Why so slow? With 0.4 Nozzle and 0.2 layer height, 1mm/sec extrusion calculates to only about 33.6 mm/sec print speed and 2.4 mm^3/sec volumetric flow. I've got a stealthburner / CW2 / Dragon HF and in a perfect world I should be able to push about ten times that speed. I tried running the test at different speed and found it to be consistent up to 4mm/sec. It begins to drop just a bit at 5mm/sec (99%) and really wimps out at 10mm/sec (83%) due to motor skipping (clicking).
Am I wasting my time running the test faster? The print speeds that I'm running (mostly Ellis' PIF settings) pretty much stay at or under the 5mm/sec extrusion speed and I'm OK with that. I have EM set to 0.99, but get bad under-extrusion when printing large areas of solid infill. Where should I concentrate my efforts? TIA.

The reason for it being slow is you are setting hardware calibration. Anything faster you start getting into flow rate issues. That's a completely different setting usually slicer.
Personally, I do it cold by removing the nozzle in sending a 100 mm through and verifing what the distance is. Remember all you are doing at this point is calibrating the BMG gears and the motor to make sure when you ask for 100 mm you get 100 mm.
Flow rate is more based on the hot end, nozzle, temperature, and material then it is on the extruder itself.

The reason for it being slow is you are setting hardware calibration. Anything faster you start getting into flow rate issues. That's a completely different setting usually slicer.
Personally, I do it cold by removing the nozzle in sending a 100 mm through and verifing what the distance is. Remember all you are doing at this point is calibrating the BMG gears and the motor to make sure when you ask for 100 mm you get 100 mm.
Flow rate is more based on the hot end, nozzle, temperature, and material then it is on the extruder itself.
Thanks for your reply. After reading it, I realized that I'd already read all that before. I just needed someone to reinforce it. In other words, pound it back into my thick head.