What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Gantry Adjusts In Opposite Direction During QGL

Printer Model
Extruder Type
Clockwork 2
Cooling Type
Stealthburner
Hopefully someone can help me. I'm kind of a noob but I did build a v0 and a Trident.

My 2.4 that I'm building does one of two things during a QGL:

1. Will abort and say "Retries aborting: Probed points range is increasing". I have checked the motor wires multiple times to make sure the right motor was wired to the correct port on the mcu.
2. The gantry will adjust but more often than not it will move the back left corner down until it clicks into the frame. This normally causes a "No trigger on probe after full movement" on the front right corner.

I ripped the thing half apart, undid the z belts, checked every grub screw on the z drive, re-tensioned the belts and still the same thing.

I tried to post the klippy log but it said the file was too large, anything else I can post to help out, let me know.

I'm running a manta m8p with canbus and chaotic labs cnc tap.

I did tear the toolhead down to make sure everything was tight regarding the tap, etc.

If its going the wrong way then its a software config. Try adding a ! to the dir_pin.

Make sure you do a STEPPER_BUZZ STEPPER=stepper_z then STEPPER_BUZZ STEPPER=stepper_z1 and so on.

Add a ! to the dir pin if it is in the wrong direction.
From the Voron Docs,
"If the stepper does not move at all, then verify the “enable_pin” and “step_pin” settings for the stepper. If the stepper motor moves but does not return to its original position then verify the “dir_pin” setting. If the stepper motor oscillates in an incorrect direction, then it generally indicates that the “dir_pin” for the axis needs to be inverted. This is done by adding a ‘!’ to the “dir_pin” in the printer config file (or removing it if one is already there). If the motor moves significantly more or significantly less than one millimeter then verify the rotation_distance setting."

If its going the wrong way then its a software config. Try adding a ! to the dir_pin.

Make sure you do a STEPPER_BUZZ STEPPER=stepper_z then STEPPER_BUZZ STEPPER=stepper_z1 and so on.

Add a ! to the dir pin if it is in the wrong direction.
From the Voron Docs,
"If the stepper does not move at all, then verify the “enable_pin” and “step_pin” settings for the stepper. If the stepper motor moves but does not return to its original position then verify the “dir_pin” setting. If the stepper motor oscillates in an incorrect direction, then it generally indicates that the “dir_pin” for the axis needs to be inverted. This is done by adding a ‘!’ to the “dir_pin” in the printer config file (or removing it if one is already there). If the motor moves significantly more or significantly less than one millimeter then verify the rotation_distance setting."

Ok so the gantry motors move together when homing the z or doing z movements.

But during a QGL rather than moving in ways that would actually level the gantry, it moves in ways that move it out of wack and ruin everything.

Update: I tried checking more bolts, found a few that could have been torqued down a bit further.

Tried to level again and it consistently will dip the back left corner which makes the front right corner not be able to reach the bed.

This was the last thing that happened followed by a "Probe can't reach the bed after full movement".

Making the following Z adjustments:
stepper_z = -4.093029
stepper_z1 = -5.684287
stepper_z2 = 1.057487
stepper_z3 = 8.719829

Any ideas of what I can check, replace or change?

I'm looking into replacing the z belts and the cnc tap with another module to see if maybe I got a dud.

Front left, front right, back right, back left.
So your movement axes are all messed up. Back to the startup guide with you!.
Make sure x movement is actually left right, and y movement is actually front back.. and that x 0 is on the left, and y 0 is at the front

So your movement axes are all messed up. Back to the startup guide with you!.
Make sure x movement is actually left right, and y movement is actually front back.. and that x 0 is on the left, and y 0 is at the front
Yes, my x axis homes to the right and my y axis homes to the back.

I have been using the start up guide. I'm at the part where you do a QGL.

Thanks guys for reading my request and offering such valuable information.

In my own research, I found this article from Ellis which describes a gantry squaring procedure: https://ellis3dp.com/Print-Tuning-Guide/articles/voron_v2_gantry_squaring.html

I'm using a lightweight x beam which utilizes fixed holes to screw my x axis into. This leads to me not being able to adjust the x axis like the guide suggests and locks the gantry to a specific width.

This weekend I'll switch the lightweight x beam out for a normal aluminum extrusion and attempt the gantry squaring procedure (redoing/ re-running all belts in the process) and see if it fixes my problem.

I'll report back with my findings if I get any positive results.

Yes, my x axis homes to the right and my y axis homes to the back.

I have been using the start up guide. I'm at the part where you do a qgl
The order of qgl is(and must be!) front left, back left, back right, front right. There are only two things that can change that behavior

1. not having your movement axis correct
2. Manually reordering the points listed in the qgl config section

Which ever of these things qpplies to you, you MUST fix it before you will be able to qgl correctly.

Did you confirm not just what direction the gantry homes, but also where 0 is on each axis?

The order of qgl is(and must be!) front left, back left, back right, front right. There are only two things that can change that behavior

1. not having your movement axis correct
2. Manually reordering the points listed in the qgl config section

Which ever of these things qpplies to you, you MUST fix it before you will be able to qgl correctly.

Did you confirm not just what direction the gantry homes, but also where 0 is on each axis?
Ok, you were right.

My stepper A was inverted which caused the x to home straight back.

After fixing that, I passed a QGL.

Thanks for the help.