What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Question Hermit crab ( CAN ) by bq with a TAP system

rich64

Hello,
Trying to find out if anyone has used the Hermit Crab CAN system With the TAP system, I might be me over thinking it or pipe dreaming about using the system.
the issue that I can see is the moving forward of the hot end nozzle, will this move the unit to far and cause the nozzle to be unstable or the magnets will not hold it in place?
To the use Hot end quick exchange system (hermit crab), the TAP system would have to be before the hermit crab CAN system. This would put more weight on the parts used in the Tap system.
or
can hope for bq to make a new backer plate that has a TAP system built into it, would limit the distance the nozzle would it set forward. LOL

I'm building a Voron 2.4 that I would like to use both systems on.

Last edited:
I am building this tap+hermit, with closed loop on x,y,z, will tell you when it's done, and will share files if i have to draw any adapter plate

that would be great thankyou
close loop i was going to do that to, but that was a little too much for me to try to program the system. then when you looked at the screens and their locations that would all have to be move so i could get to them easy, and any change to that would mean new mounts......
would like to see how you solve those issues if i could

rich

I wonder the same, gonna build a Legacy now with the tap and hermit crab can. Already have built a 2.4 and a switchwire ;)

Ohh guys.. Hermit crab is such a mess... i gave up with the tap option, as the hermit lock is already quite woobling....
For the closed loop, i paused after frying one too much s42c... I guess this should be setup after speed & inputshaping [...] calibrations..

By the way, if anyone has infos about why hermit crab mcu keeps disconnecting randomly ?
Had it working fine for few prints, and now it's just impossible to finish a print.. Don't know if my setup might have messed up something.. went to shielded can wire, set freq at 250k, changed channels, flashed and reflashed....

If any of you don't have disconnecting trouble, could you please send me your config ? or compare my mcu settings ?

Thxs..

MCU 'mcu' config: ADC_MAX=4095 BUS_PINS_i2c1_PA9_PA10=PA9,PA10 BUS_PINS_i2c1_PB6_PB7=PB6,PB7 BUS_PINS_i2c1_PB8_PB9=PB8,PB9 BUS_PINS_i2c2_PB10_PB11=PB10,PB11 BUS_PINS_i2c2_PB13_PB14PB5,PB3 CANBUS_BRIDGE=1 CLOCK_FREQ=64000000 MCU=stm32g0b1xx PWM_MAX=255 RECEIVE_WINDOW=192 RESERVE_PINS_CAN=PD12,PD13 RESERVE_PINS_USB=PA11,PA12 RESERVE_PINS_crystal=PF0,PF1 STATS_SUMSQ_BASE=256 STEPPER_BOTH_EDGE=1

MCU 'toolhead' config: ADC_MAX=4095 BUS_PINS_i2c1=PB6,PB7 BUS_PINS_i2c1_PB6_PB7=PB6,PB7 BUS_PINS_i2c1_PB8_PB9=PB8,PB9 BUS_PINS_i2c1_PF1_PF0=PF1,PF0 BUS_PINS_i2c1a=PF1,PF0 BUS_PINS_spi1=PA6,PA7,PA5 BUS_PINS_spi1a=PB4,PB5,PB3 BUS_PINS_spi2=PB14,PB15,PB13 BUS_PINS_spi2a=PC2,PC3,PB10 CANBUS_FREQUENCY=250000 CLOCK_FREQ=48000000 MCU=stm32f072xb RECEIVE_WINDOW=192 RESERVE_PINS_CAN=PB8,PB9 RESERVE_PINS_crystal=PF0,PF1 STATS_SUMSQ_BASE=256 STEPPER_BOTH_EDGE=1