What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Information voron Legacy

I would like to build my first voron. The model I like is the Legacy one. Does anyone know any Legacy Kit. I am trying to find all the components myself but can not find the Raspberry Pi zero w. Can someone help me to find one? I also have noticed that there is not a lot of information to build a Legacy like Manual and BOM Does someone knows where I can get as much information as possible to build one?

Hi!

I'm not sure if anyone has a Legacy Kit -- it was originally intended for folks who had older V1.x printers to upgrade to the Afterburner/Stealthburner toolhead ecosystem without completely redoing their whole machine, That isn't to say that you can't build one -- you totally can. Head over to the vorondesign.com website, go to the Legacy Page and then select "Configurator". Go through the wizard for the full build, keeping everything as recommended (though, you could same a little money and do blind joints instead of corner cubes), and it will generate a BOM for you.

There is no manual for this printer as far as I'm aware, however there is CAD available to use as a reference. You may also be able to use the manual for the 1.5 or the 1.6 (I think they're still available if you dig) for reference up until you get to the gantry.

I know Sanity (she's one of the mods here) recently built one -- she may have some insights that I do not.

Hi brendanm720!
Thanks for your reply, I have downloaded the voron 1.8 manual as a reference to build the Legacy. I already have the BOM from vorondesign.com as you said and I am starting to buy all the components although it is difficult to find a Raspberry Pi zero w these days. What else can I use instead of Raspberry zero? How can I contact to Sanity to be in contact with her through the building process? I am in Spain and there are components difficult to find here like those switches model or those nemas versions and would be good to check with someone if I buy a different versions of those components will work.

Hi brendanm720!
Thanks for your reply, I have downloaded the voron 1.8 manual as a reference to build the Legacy.
The 1.8 manual is more like a Trident than a Legacy, and most likely won't be as helpful. The one for the 1.6 is available here: https://www.vorondesign.com/voron1.6

I already have the BOM from vorondesign.com as you said and I am starting to buy all the components although it is difficult to find a Raspberry Pi zero w these days. What else can I use instead of Raspberry zero?
Any Raspberry Pi will work. If you can get your hands on a Raspberry Pi Zero W 2, it is a better unit with the same form factor as the original Zero W... Otherwise any other Raspberry Pi will work. BTT has the CB1 which you could use also (it seems to also work fine), and there's Orange Pi units that may work out for you.

How can I contact to Sanity to be in contact with her through the building process? I am in Spain and there are components difficult to find here like those switches model or those nemas versions and would be good to check with someone if I buy a different versions of those components will work.
Sanity is in Europe, so she may have vendor advice also. You can use the members thing up at the top of the forum page to find her in the staff section. I think you should be able to DM her from there. You can also join the discord server and ping her on that.

Hi brendanm720!
Thanks for your reply, I have downloaded the voron 1.8 manual as a reference to build the Legacy. I already have the BOM from vorondesign.com as you said and I am starting to buy all the components although it is difficult to find a Raspberry Pi zero w these days. What else can I use instead of Raspberry zero? How can I contact to Sanity to be in contact with her through the building process? I am in Spain and there are components difficult to find here like those switches model or those nemas versions and would be good to check with someone if I buy a different versions of those components will work.
I bought to test the Orange Pi Zero 2, the performance matches a Rasp 3b+

Hi brendanm720!
Hello, I will post "my way" how I built Legacy. If it had manual, I believe it would be probably one of the easiest VORONs to build, competing with Switchwire.

@Blamm may also have some more information on where to source stuff in EU, he recently built his custom 180x180 Legacy (and it's awesome little beast!.

You can use any RPi or alt-Pi if you can fit them onto the electronics enclosure. Or make a separate box for it attached to the frame, I was contemplating that idea as well. I run RPi 3B+ with CAN hat. I bought right-angled USB and Ethernet connectors from Amazon Europe.

I bought OMC Stepperonline stepper motors for A and B from their website directly, they have warehouse in Europe and ship very fast. They are used in other VORONs and sourcing guide has links to those. For Z motors, I scavenged those from old Ender 3 and attached leadscrews. Bed was originally intended to use Ender 3 bed (Steve has a mount for it in VORON Mods), but I found 230x230 MIC6 plate on Fermio and drilled 4 holes in it. We also found local supplier of cast aluminium plates with guaranteed flatness and they will cut to desired size too - so maybe look that way too? I am sure Spain has some companies selling aluminium blocks able to cut and surface them.

Frame I bought locally, company was selling offcuts, and as a bonus they offered to cut those for free to required lengths. I drilled holes and tapped ends myself. But meanwhile I found frame on Funssor, or they found it for me, so I used that one. You can take a look at https://www.dold-mechatronik.de/Aluminum-profiles-and-accessories-I-type-and-B-type or https://www.motedis.com/en/Slot-profiles Careful when buying those, get them with 6 mm groove, not 5, or you won't find t-nut easily. Use M6 for blind joints then instead of M5.

I sourced rods and bearings partially from Prusa and partially from CNA on Aliexpress (from sourcing guide under 1.8) but those are not good. Blamm has his from somewhere else, I think Dold too?

Other parts like PSU, wires, power switch etc. were sourced like any other VORON parts, with help of Sourcing Guide or locally.

You can contact me here, I occasionally patrol here as a moderator. Or I am on VORON Discord as SanityAgathion#8017. GL with your build!