What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Inverted Electronics for my newly ordered LDO Trident 300 kit?

I don't have a Trident, nor any plans to build one. What happens if the bed is halfway or more down the build volume and one or more of the Z-axis stops moving? There is no good way into the electronics bay for diagnostics and repair. A blown fuse, a failed power supply - anything that precludes moving the bed could mean a full disassembly rather than a quick tilt and repair.

My 2.4 has a remixed version of the rocknroll legs. It does require some space to tilt back, but I'm glad they are there.
That's nothing stopping you from flipping the printer, and the inversion does nothing to the Z-Axis, so you'll be in the same situation in your hypothetical scenario. The main supply fuse is next to the plug incomer, so no need to access the bay to get there.

I wonder why (if you don't plan to build one, and don't already have one) you would argue against it in the first place? It's hardly an option on the 2.4 due to its fixed bed, so I get why you might not even consider it. On a trident with a moving bed and space underneath, why eliminate the option?

It's a 2.4, but it makes no real difference. It's another way tobuild an inverted electronics : a drawer. Made from scrapped parts from a kitchen (being made of scrapped rails, sharing the design is of no interest, would require the same rails...). But you get the idea...
During the build, I had to flip the printer one time only : for the bottom panel.
Of course, the deck has to be removed if the wiring has to be modified. But the SD cards can be accessed, as well as the SPI port for the accelerometer, the fuses, and the USB ports.

1707354134293.png

That's nothing stopping you from flipping the printer, and the inversion does nothing to the Z-Axis, so you'll be in the same situation in your hypothetical scenario. The main supply fuse is next to the plug incomer, so no need to access the bay to get there.

I wonder why (if you don't plan to build one, and don't already have one) you would argue against it in the first place? It's hardly an option on the 2.4 due to its fixed bed, so I get why you might not even consider it. On a trident with a moving bed and space underneath, why eliminate the option?
You are right, I don't have any skin in the game. I like the things I build to be as serviceable as I can make it. If the electronics bay is modified for access from the top, and some fault precludes your ability to move the bed to the top of the build space, which then prevents you from accessing the bay from the top - is it not going to be more difficult to perform maintenance from the bottom of the bay?

You are right, I don't have any skin in the game. I like the things I build to be as serviceable as I can make it. If the electronics bay is modified for access from the top, and some fault precludes your ability to move the bed to the top of the build space, which then prevents you from accessing the bay from the top - is it not going to be more difficult to perform maintenance from the bottom of the bay?

As I posted above there is zero, zip, nil, nada, nothing that could possibly preclude access to a Triden inverted electronics bay due to a failure of some sort. Please post whatever hypothetical failure you are imagining and short of a house falling on the printer I am pretty sure I can give you a fast easy access solution.

It's a 2.4, but it makes no real difference. It's another way tobuild an inverted electronics : a drawer. Made from scrapped parts from a kitchen (being made of scrapped rails, sharing the design is of no interest, would require the same rails...). But you get the idea...
During the build, I had to flip the printer one time only : for the bottom panel.
Of course, the deck has to be removed if the wiring has to be modified. But the SD cards can be accessed, as well as the SPI port for the accelerometer, the fuses, and the USB ports.

View attachment 4112

This is pretty cool. I had considered using drawer pulls with a long bundled cable and fixed post to anchor the cable to on the roll out chassis. But I didn't like adding the cable extension setup so I briefly considered using spring contact connectors but realized this would make live circuit debugging impossible. In retrospect the cable chains are a solid solution.

But if you were to use my crazy distributed USB to local device MCU system you could do the pull out drawer and just run the USB cables to the USB hub on the tray once the tray is pulled out to the service position.