What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

KlipperScreen Touch stopped working

pdb6251

Printer Model
Voron 2.4 with Tap
I have 2 Voron 2.4's with essentially identical hardware and software. The BTT PITFT50 touchscreen stopped responding on one of them about a week ago or so. But the other one is working fine. I redid the firmware on RPI 4B, which did not solve the issue. I swapped out the LCD with another BTT PITFT50, which did not solve the problem. Is anyone else here experiencing this issue? I have found some others talking about it on reddit but no resolution.

There is one other interesting symptom... I can see the M117 messages from my print start macro on the LCD screen but they are not appearing in Mainsail on my Mac. Photo attached. But on the other Voron with the working touchscreen the messages are appearing.

The touchscreen was working and the messaging was appearing until recently. And, the issue might have corresponded with some software updates. But again both Vorons have had the same updates and are running all the same firmware. They have all the same hardware.

I have not swapped out the BTT Octopus because it appears to be working fine. But I could do that if needed. The Voron is still printing fine I just can not use the KlipperScreen touch.

Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions?
Screenshot 2023-03-15 at 12.08.18 PM.pngIMG_0313.jpeg

Your printers mb is AFAIK not involved. Your DSI channel to the tft seems to work. If you have your pi SW on SD cards, what is the behavior of a swap?

Your printers mb is AFAIK not involved. Your DSI channel to the tft seems to work. If you have your pi SW on SD cards, what is the behavior of a swap?
Great idea , thank you. I swapped the SD cards and now neither of the touchscreens work. Haha. You have to laugh. But any information is good information when trouble shooting. Interestingly they both showed some new software updates which I did hoping that would possibly help. But may have not helped. Amongst the updates was KlipperScreen v0.3.2-17-g3417765 which they are both now running. And, both of the machine show the M117 messages on the LCD when I start a print. But neither of them show the message in the browser based Mainsail.

I am going to swap them back now and see if that provides any additional information.

Wow.
Not what I expected....
I would say that if :
1. you see the screen showing Linux starting = Linux DSI is ok
2. Screen reacts when you touch = touch part of Linux is ok
3. Klipper screen shows = x-windows is configured correctly in Linux
4.?? - > Go on to issues in GitHub.

Seems very strange that error moves.
P. S.
One last idea.
Make sure both are Not connected to a network = stop wifi, unplug eathernet

Run the latest updates 2 days ago.. Working like a charm.

Great idea , thank you. I swapped the SD cards and now neither of the touchscreens work. Haha. You have to laugh. But any information is good information when trouble shooting. Interestingly they both showed some new software updates which I did hoping that would possibly help. But may have not helped. Amongst the updates was KlipperScreen v0.3.2-17-g3417765 which they are both now running. And, both of the machine show the M117 messages on the LCD when I start a print. But neither of them show the message in the browser based Mainsail.

I am going to swap them back now and see if that provides any additional information.
ok, I swapped them back and still neither touch screen works. And, the M117 messages do not get to the Safari based Mainsail. Otherwise all seems to be ok and both machines are operating well. I speculate that they were not running the identical firmware as I did not think to read the exact firmware release numbers. I just assumed that since they both were not showing any updates needed that they were the same... my bad. Now they are both running the same firmware and since the hardware as been eliminated, I think we can conclude it is something in the new firmware. I assume KlipperScreen but I am not sure. Regardless, I further assume more people will experience this soon as then a solution will be found.

Wow.
Not what I expected....
I would say that if :
1. you see the screen showing Linux starting = Linux DSI is ok
2. Screen reacts when you touch = touch part of Linux is ok
3. Klipper screen shows = x-windows is configured correctly in Linux
4.?? - > Go on to issues in GitHub.

Seems very strange that error moves.
P. S.
One last idea.
Make sure both are Not connected to a network = stop wifi, unplug eathernet

Run the latest updates 2 days ago.. Working like a charm.
Thanks, I just saw this after pressing enter on my last update after swapping back. Both machines are running prints at the moment so will test your other suggestions after they are finished printing. Thank you for your suggestions and help.

For anyone else who runs into this issue.... The solution was exactly as outlined in the klipperscreen docs:
https://klipperscreen.readthedocs.io/en/latest/Troubleshooting/#touch-not-working-on-debian-bullseye

SSH to your pi
Then "sudo nano /boot/config.txt"
edit the line "dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d"
to "dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d"

Then make sure you save and reboot the pi.

It seems I neglected to reboot the pi the first time I did this and mistakenly assumed the edit did not work. Therefore put it back to the original settings. However, this edit did in fact work and has fixed both my Vorons.

For anyone else who runs into this issue.... The solution was exactly as outlined in the klipperscreen docs:
https://klipperscreen.readthedocs.io/en/latest/Troubleshooting/#touch-not-working-on-debian-bullseye

SSH to your pi
Then "sudo nano /boot/config.txt"
edit the line "dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d"
to "dtoverlay=vc4-fkms-v3d"

Then make sure you save and reboot the pi.

It seems I neglected to reboot the pi the first time I did this and mistakenly assumed the edit did not work. Therefore put it back to the original settings. However, this edit did in fact work and has fixed both my Vorons.
You saved my life!