What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Lost communication with MCU 'nhk

Ho-whizzle

Hi all,

its me again :p

This has happened 3 times in the past week since I upgraded to LDO Nitehawk. I will printing and the Tirdent will stop printing (no shutdown) and will display a error stating "Lost communicaiton with MCU 'nhk'"

Does anyone knwo what could be casuing and how to prevent it from happening as I cannot trust the printer to do any loong prints now.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-31 225807.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-31 225807.png
    22.7 KB · Views: 9
Take a couple pics of your toolhead and how the Nitehawk is connected. My guess is the cable is wiggling near its connection.

Hi all,

its me again :p

This has happened 3 times in the past week since I upgraded to LDO Nitehawk. I will printing and the Tirdent will stop printing (no shutdown) and will display a error stating "Lost communicaiton with MCU 'nhk'"

Does anyone knwo what could be casuing and how to prevent it from happening as I cannot trust the printer to do any loong prints now.
Did you ever figure this out? I'm having the same issue now. It's not a connection issue. Unless it's on the board or a bad cable. Nitehawk 1 week old. Have about 4 hours on it printing doing calibrations. Set it for a 2hr print, and gave me this issue.

I had a very similar issue when I first installed my Nitehawk - I finally solved it by cleaning all the connectors with IPA, moved the USB plug on the Pi to a different port and fixed the umbilical cable to the toolhead with a dab of hotmelt glue.

I had a very similar issue when I first installed my Nitehawk - I finally solved it by cleaning all the connectors with IPA, moved the USB plug on the Pi to a different port and fixed the umbilical cable to the toolhead with a dab of hotmelt glue.
I think there is a bigger issue at play here. We all know "cleaning connectors with IPA" did nothing. Unless we all have bad USB slots on our Pi's (mine is brand new) the odds of that happening are slim to none. And my umbilical is in a gland attached to the toolhead, and the back wall exhaust, so it's not that either. I wonder, is everyone with this issue using that short cheapo USB C to A cable that comes in the nitehawk kit? I've just got the MCU error again after thinking I had resolved it. I was previously running a Pi 3 B+ with a C920, nitehawk, and beacon. Once I unplugged the camera, I didn't get the issue again. So I assumed it was because I was using an old underpowered Pi. Bought a new 4b with 4GB ram which is what I have in my other voron 2.4. I'm running hartk board and tap on that with a C920 camera, no issues.

Got the dreaded failure again tonight on a 6 hr print, 2 hrs in. I've gone ahead and swapped the USB C cable that connects the breakout board of the nitehawk to the PI with a reputable cable.
Hoping that fixes it, or it may be time to write off the nitehawk.

It did not. So it's not the cabling. It's not the power to the Pi. I've unplugged the C920 again, and it's printing fine with no MCU errors. Not really sure what is up with this Nitehawk.

I had that a lot before. The root cause is actually the camera. For me it's not able underpower, it actually the camera module being shitty and occasionally send out wrong voltage on the usb line, so the Pi3's entire USB module is rebooted when this happen, which brings down all the connections.

I would say check the kernel log and also dmesg log, see at the time of MUC lost, is the system had any big bug or crashes.

I had that a lot before. The root cause is actually the camera. For me it's not able underpower, it actually the camera module being shitty and occasionally send out wrong voltage on the usb line, so the Pi3's entire USB module is rebooted when this happen, which brings down all the connections.

I would say check the kernel log and also dmesg log, see at the time of MUC lost, is the system had any big bug or crashes.
Even with the camera removed from the equation, it's doing it now. If my print job is under two hours, no sweat. Over two hours? Crash city.

Even with the camera removed from the equation, it's doing it now. If my print job is under two hours, no sweat. Over two hours? Crash city.
Did you get to the bottom of this issue yet? After a spell of apparently working properly, mine's just started doing it again. Going to remove the camera and change the USB lead and try that, but I'm not too hopeful.