What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Maximizing Z-Height?

I understand that the max print height of a 350mm standard Voron 2.4 is about 330mm as opposed to the 350 that is theoretically possible (originally intended?). Can anyone provide any info on what is cutting into the 350mm possible print height, and what can be done to get some or all of it back?

FYI, I have a few things that would be nice to print. But they are very slightly over the 330mm max height. Even getting 1cm more would potentially help.

Thanks in advance for any info on this.

It's 330 mm Z height because of the designers' ethos of always trying to minimize the parts you need to change when upgrading. And because the V2.1* used a different way to lift the bed, over the years the print volume lost height because the frame wasn't changed since then.

* The design that would be V2.0 was never released publicly, just in case you'd ask that.

Past a point, the cable chain brackets become a limitation... so going to an umbilical would help gain some clearance.
I think the top panel also gets in the way... so if printing PLA/PETG/etc, you can free up some travel room by removing the top, otherwise you might have to get a little creative.

Past a point, the cable chain brackets become a limitation... so going to an umbilical would help gain some clearance.
I think the top panel also gets in the way... so if printing PLA/PETG/etc, you can free up some travel room by removing the top, otherwise you might have to get a little creative.
Thanks. This is exactly the kind of tip I was hoping for... I haven't examined it yet, but printing something a little different to keep it enclosed with a higher top panel should be easy. And if it gains me even a few millimeters, it will probably enable at least one of the prints I was hoping to support.

You only need to remove the drag chains and add a tophat (if you want to print enclosed), if you want to use "full" height.

So I made and recommend this 😀