What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

New build Z axis issues

egulino

Hello all! Recently completed my 0.2 build. I'm still going through the calibration process. I found Z stepper will move down, contact the Z end stop, move away from the end stop, then make a terrible ratcheting sound and will not move anymore. I can command it 1mm at time for about 5 or 10mm then it just grinds. The config settings look ok (I could be wrong). Could it be a defective stepper? I bought the LDO stepper kit. Any thoughts from anyone?

Well, if anyone is interested. I did find that if I increased the current to the Z stepper from .37 to .50A, if operates correctly,

The rails are binding. Try this, remove the threaded nut and verify you can move the platform up and down with nearly zero resistance. Also check that the lead screw stays EXACLY centered when the platform moves up and down.

If the rails are not parallel, loosen all the screws that hold the, untill they are just barely snug. Move the platfome up and own, if now it is esy to move you have found most of the problem. Move the platform and tighten the scres a litttle, move it and tighten them more and so on untill they are firmly tight. THis works to fix lateral misalignment but iif the frame is not in-pain youhave to fix that.

If both rails and the lead screw are not all 100% co-parallel in both ZX and ZYplanes the system will bind.

There is another potential problem. Even if everything is parallel, the rails could have excessive preload. A poorly made "Kiragami" plate can do this. If the plate is not well made and the angles are not perfect then you can assemble it but when you torque down the screws that hold the plate to the rail cars the screw force the plate to the right angle and the plate become a loaded spring putting a lot of force on the rails. There are a two solutions:

1) Remove the plate and bend the plate by hand or with tools until it is PERFECT and all the screws go in with nearly zero force. Most of these plates are not accruratly made and need 'tweeking" or

2) replace the Kiragami plate with a CNC'd FYSETC bed support. These are very accurately made and very strong and rigid.