What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Question New Voron printer

llambion

I have an ender 3 v2 printer for a couple of years and now I want to buy a better 3D printer. I want to print other materials like as ASA or ABS and i believe that i need a new 3D printer.
I have read a lot about 3D printers models and I have decided that a voron will be a my new 3d printer but I have a lot of doubts that I hope you can help me with.
I have never assembled any 3D printer. The one I have I already bought assembled so I don't have any experience in assembling any.
I want to print ASA, ABS and PLA. It is not a commercial project, it's only for personal use.
My questions are,
Trident or 2.4? which is faster? Does one print with better quality than the other? Is it worth the price difference between the two?
I want a larger print size. I would like 300 or 350. Is the 50mm difference worth the price increase?
Should I buy a kit or buy the components individually?
What hotend and what extruder would you recommend?
Thanks in advance for your answers

I think only you can really answer these questions because it's up to you to decide what you want from the printer.

That being said I think the Trident is going to be just a little faster by design. The quality is entirely up to you since you build it and tune it.
A 300 vs 350 the 300 might be just a little faster but I don't know if the price is worth it, that is up to you and your budget.
Since this would be your first build, I think the kits are a great option.
Most hot ends are pretty good these days but I use the Phatus Rapido on some of mine.

Hope this helps.

I have just finished building my Voron 2.4 350mm. It is my third printer and I built my first one (Prusa Mk3). It's taken me about 2 months although I did have a couple of holidays during that time

I didn't find it that difficult. The instructions are excellent just follow them step by step. I recommend getting a kit

The hardest bit was setting it up and tuning it. Now it's finished I am delighted with it. Prints ABS perfectly and it's fast.

Good luck

Peter

I have a 350. I got it because it can fit cosplay helmets without issues. A 250 is a bit too small for that. Maybe a 300 would work, but the cost of a 350 is incremental.

I have a 350. I got it because it can fit cosplay helmets without issues. A 250 is a bit too small for that. Maybe a 300 would work, but the cost of a 350 is incremental.
I am not considere 250 as a option. 300 should be my favorite option because I think 350 is too big and more expensive.

I think only you can really answer these questions because it's up to you to decide what you want from the printer.

That being said I think the Trident is going to be just a little faster by design. The quality is entirely up to you since you build it and tune it.
A 300 vs 350 the 300 might be just a little faster but I don't know if the price is worth it, that is up to you and your budget.
Since this would be your first build, I think the kits are a great option.
Most hot ends are pretty good these days but I use the Phatus Rapido on some of mine.

Hope this helps.
Thank you for your advice!!

I have just finished building my Voron 2.4 350mm. It is my third printer and I built my first one (Prusa Mk3). It's taken me about 2 months although I did have a couple of holidays during that time

I didn't find it that difficult. The instructions are excellent just follow them step by step. I recommend getting a kit

The hardest bit was setting it up and tuning it. Now it's finished I am delighted with it. Prints ABS perfectly and it's fast.

Good luck

Peter
Thank you for your anwser.
It's clear to me from all answers that it's best to buy a kit rather than self-sourcing

Buying a kit isn't always better than self-sourcing. Remember that not all Voron builders lives in the US/EU, some of us live in countries where import taxes can be very steep for big, expensive packages.

With that said, the usually given advice is build a printer small enough to fit the biggest print you'll ever want to print. Smaller printers are more rigid, which helps make them print faster: don't get me wrong, even a 350 Voron 2.4 is faster than an Ender 3, but there's a reason why the V0 is the preferred choice for those who wants to be blazing fast.

Buying a kit isn't always better than self-sourcing. Remember that not all Voron builders lives in the US/EU, some of us live in countries where import taxes can be very steep for big, expensive packages.

With that said, the usually given advice is build a printer small enough to fit the biggest print you'll ever want to print. Smaller printers are more rigid, which helps make them print faster: don't get me wrong, even a 350 Voron 2.4 is faster than an Ender 3, but there's a reason why the V0 is the preferred choice for those who wants to be blazing fast.
I'm from Spain where import taxes for 'expensive' parcels are bit high.
I'm searching a printer that print faster than ender3v2 with top notch quality, also i need enclousured printer that i want to print abs, asa and other technic materials.
I know that you can personalize and create better printer self-sourcing but I am a beginner on 3D printers and I never mount one.
I believe that 300mm 2.4 r2 is a good compromise between speed, money and quality. But now, i'm analizing different kits to choose one. Formbot, Siboor or Fysect and mods like umbilical wire and canbus to complete my project

If you are a beginner, then I think Trident may be better choice. You can pick 350 size for bed, although the height will be 250 (but full 250 not 230 or such). Assembly is a bit easier, there are fewer printed as well las mechanical parts. But really it's up to you - 2.4s are cool looking printers indeed, and both perform very similar. You won't make mistake with either. Both will be definitely faster than Ender. Trident may have slight edge when you will want to start experimenting with various rebuilds and speed printing mods, as gantry is bolted on the frame, thus more rigid. If you don't plan on getting neck deep into modding printer and just use it, it does not matter.

As for the kits - Formbot is good compromise between price and performance. They are more or less established kit maker, they went a long way to improve their kits. They have warehouse in the EU in Czech Republic, so I don't think you will have to pay any additional fees if you make sure you order stock from CZ warehouse. Except - when they decide to send you Pi or hotend from China, then it may happen customs officers will have questions. Happens rarely though. Fysetc has warehouse directly in Spain I believe? Not sure if they hold any VORON printer stock there, you will need to check on their Ali website. Fysetc can sometimes be hit or miss when it comes to components ... Siboor is very new to the market and their first kits were ... uhh not optimal to put it politely. They seem to be taking feedback and improving, but honestly I'd give them few more product generations.

If you are a beginner, then I think Trident may be better choice. You can pick 350 size for bed, although the height will be 250 (but full 250 not 230 or such). Assembly is a bit easier, there are fewer printed as well las mechanical parts. But really it's up to you - 2.4s are cool looking printers indeed, and both perform very similar. You won't make mistake with either. Both will be definitely faster than Ender. Trident may have slight edge when you will want to start experimenting with various rebuilds and speed printing mods, as gantry is bolted on the frame, thus more rigid. If you don't plan on getting neck deep into modding printer and just use it, it does not matter.

As for the kits - Formbot is good compromise between price and performance. They are more or less established kit maker, they went a long way to improve their kits. They have warehouse in the EU in Czech Republic, so I don't think you will have to pay any additional fees if you make sure you order stock from CZ warehouse. Except - when they decide to send you Pi or hotend from China, then it may happen customs officers will have questions. Happens rarely though. Fysetc has warehouse directly in Spain I believe? Not sure if they hold any VORON printer stock there, you will need to check on their Ali website. Fysetc can sometimes be hit or miss when it comes to components ... Siboor is very new to the market and their first kits were ... uhh not optimal to put it politely. They seem to be taking feedback and improving, but honestly I'd give them few more product generations.
I think I'm going to choose a Voron 2.4, I like more that the print surface is fixed on botton.
Also, I have realized that where I am going to put the printer is a shelf cabinet with two more shelves where I have two paper printers and it goes on top of them. If I build a trident the base will be very high when I start printing.

I was watching Fysect and Formbot websites. Both of them send from Europe. Fysetc has a warehouse in Spain.
Kits 2,4r2 300mm:
Formbot is more expensive than Fysetc, I found a bunch of differences between them
Formbot, has stealthburner, Fysetc Afterburner
Formbot, Phaetus Dragon HF, Fysetc V6
Formbot, has a BTT Klipper pi, Fysetc Nothing
Formbot, frame is black, Fysetc can choose frame color
Formbot, Moons steppers, Fysetc, ?
Formbot Octopus 1.1, Fysetc Spyder 2.3

Formbot 899$ vs Fysetc 700$

I like blue frame but Formbot has a better kit components, I think

I like blue frame but Formbot has a better kit components, I think
You can get blue frame separately, LDO has blue frames on offer and sells through their resellers. https://docs.ldomotors.com/en/voron/LDO_Voron_Distributors Which sadly looks like none are available in Europe :cry:
I believe some Ali vendors sell blue frames too <https://vi.aliexpress.com/item/1005001714899940.html or https://vi.aliexpress.com/item/1005003395423456.html I think it's still Fysetc.
You will end up with extra frame which you can then sell on marketplace. Or self-source your next build ;)

Finally, I bought a Voron 2.4 R2 300mm on aliexpress thanks in a good offer with shipping from Europe for €725, this kit include necessary printed parts. Also, I bought a canbus parts and HDMI 5'' screen to mod my new voron.
Thank you all for your advices. When the 3D printer arrives I will have to watch a lot of videos and manuals to assemble it correctly.
It's my first project!! It's my first Voron!!

Are
Finally, I bought a Voron 2.4 R2 300mm on aliexpress thanks in a good offer with shipping from Europe for €725, this kit include necessary printed parts.
Have your kit arrived? What was the quality? If it was ok then could you send pm with the aliexpress vendor details?

Are

Have your kit arrived? What was the quality? If it was ok then could you send pm with the aliexpress vendor details?

Yes, my kit arrived three weeks ago. At now, i'm ending to mount the voron. Last sunday, print my first cube test but it is necessary to adjust all printer parameters. I have a shift layer bugs, I need to improve the printer settings a lot
I think that it is a good kit.
It arrived so fast and very well packaged. I live in spain and kit was sent from Poland avoiding EU customs.
It is the first Voron I have but I think the components are quality. Also, i bought and printed some mods to improve my built. I bought nevermore V6 filter parts, bought a push buttons to move power on/off to front and other buttons for chamber lights, filters, preheat bed... I've moded and printed part to move ac plug to left side because it on back is very It is very uncomfortable to turn on and off. I am printing magnetic panel mounts and finally i bought canbus parts.
I've been working on it for a lot of hours but it's the first 3D printer I've built and i watched a bunch of youtube videos, i read a lot of forum threads to make this printer as best as possible.

I have an ender 3 v2 printer for a couple of years and now I want to buy a better 3D printer. I want to print other materials like as ASA or ABS and i believe that i need a new 3D printer.
I have read a lot about 3D printers models and I have decided that a voron will be a my new 3d printer but I have a lot of doubts that I hope you can help me with.
I have never assembled any 3D printer. The one I have I already bought assembled so I don't have any experience in assembling any.
I want to print ASA, ABS and PLA. It is not a commercial project, it's only for personal use.
My questions are,
Trident or 2.4? which is faster? Does one print with better quality than the other? Is it worth the price difference between the two?
I want a larger print size. I would like 300 or 350. Is the 50mm difference worth the price increase?
Hello, I jyst finished my 350mm build. I haven finished my enclosure due to the great difficulties sourcing the Plexiglassn / panels. From experience I can say going from a 300 build to 350 is going to be more costs and greater difficulties obtaining the Build Plate, frame kit, and panels. Im currently stuck trying to find the paneling for my enclosure. Had I built a 300 the paneling would be locally available and my printer finished. The hardware and craft stores only sells sizes that are too small and wont be of size.
Hope this helps. I wish now I did the 300, just the extra weight was enough to decide for me. Lol

My questions are,
Welcome! - Yes I agree with the other comments here, you probably need to work through it yourself. I personally built a 2.4-R2 350 with canbus and Tap. I went for the 350 because I know that it would be the only printer I would be allowed (one) so thought, it would suit all of my needs for now and for the future. As for BOM self sourcing, it depends really on how much an hour $ you value your time. I started down that path and got about 2.5 hours of researching and looking and sources and the price was actually more expensive individually sourcing.

Add that to the issue where I had not built one before as well... so I decided to research and buy a kit and thought If I am buying a kit, I want to buy the latest tech as well. I settled on the Magic Pheonix kit as it had Canbus, Tap and you could upgrade to CNC TAP and GeNuine Gates Idlers if wanted and had he flexabilty of selecting hot end (which comes down to personal prefference again). You could also upgrade the Functional parts to CNC machined (Chaotic Labs) as well if you wanted to.

I did not go for that CNC functional upgrage but ended up selecting the Phaetus Rapido HF (24mm3) hot end as I did my own research and it suited my need of wanting high performance and quality but did not need break any world speed records on prints speeds and volumetric flow. I am happy with my choices and there are plenty of You Tube Video series to lead you through the steps. I ended up doing my and my learning experiences.

The Discord Community are really good support and assistance as well. the Manuals are nicely laid out also. Good luck with your build and I am sure you will learn a lot and meet some great Voron Enthusiests along the way:)

I have an i3 clone, an Anet 6, that is even older and more primitive than your Ender. I can make it print, ABS, but just barely. I can get the bed up to only 80 Cand the nozzel to about 240. But no higher on either. The Anet 6 is not enclosed but Cura has a setting called "draft wall". It prints a wall 10 or 5 mm around the part and really does seem to help. it acts like a pseudo-enclosure. Yes it wates plastic, but it works. TRhe ABS parts donr look good but are strong. I am here because I decided to build a Voron too. I am strtimng withj a V0 and laster in the year will build a a 350mm V2.4 with some means for doing multi-materials, IDEX, "Rabit" or tap-changer. I don't know which. But you can marginally print ABS with an Ender. (Hint, gluse ceramic insulation undeer the bed and or convert to 24V heating.
I assume if you want a ABS printer that you have some use for ABS parts and can design them. If so you have above average mechanical ability. You will make mistakes and have to back out, take stuff apart and do it again. There is nothing you can build with a hex screw driver that can not be taken apart and rebuilt with the same screwdriver. I did this more than once.
My questions are,
Buy a kit and then replace parts as you see fit. The advice on-line is "LDO is best" but much of this advice is way older then 6 months old. That is eons in Internet time. All the kit sellers are improving fast. I just bought a FOrmbut kit and got very good parts and Moon's motors (I like Moon's specs better than LDO's. Formbut also allows you to make a special order and not buy the parts you don't want. Like for example I want an Octopus Pro and they said they will give credit for not shipping to plain octopus. Their printed parts were very good quality. They can ship standard kits to my house same day (I live 30 miles from the US warehouse)

Me personally, I would recommend going sort-of cheap and planning to upgrade later. Formbit offered the Phaetus Dragon for $40 and I went with that. Seems good. But later if I want to print very fast I might go with a high flow version.

I was sketpical of printed ABS extruders but now I am impressed with the steathburner and the mini stealth design. I don't know how long it will last but when it need replacing I will go with Orbiter 2.0

Is the larger 350mm worth the cost? If you need to print big parts it is 100% for sure worth it. But if you print smaller parts it is not good at all because of the long time to heat the chamber and let everything "heat soak". For this reason, I bought a V0.2 with a 120x120 bed. It will do 70% of what I need and will fit on a desktop and is portable. My next printer will be a V2.4 350mm with multi-material capability.

V2.4 or Trident? Iliked several things about V2.4: (1) The V2.4 bed does not move, the parts are not shaken or moved and (2) the gantry can "warp" to best fit the warped build plate. The four drive belts can do force the gantry to a best-fit to the bed. The Trident can level the bed to the gantry but the bed will not warp and will always be a plain. (when I say "warp", I mean 0.2mm over the 300mm square. and (3) the V2.4 can use a Kinematic bed mounting system.

"Tap changer" works on the V2.4. This is a current experiment tool changer that I like. I don't think this system could work on Trident.

I am currently drawing a V2.4-like 350mm printer using 2040 extrusions and with 40mm more room in the front and with double glassed clear panels and foam insulation for dark panels.

The V0.2 printer is actualy large enough to print all I need for the bigger V2.4 project.

Last edited:
I have an i3 clone, an Anet 6, that is even older and more primitive than your Ender. I can make it print, ABS, but just barely. I can get the bed up to only 80 Cand the nozzel to about 240. But no higher on either. The Anet 6 is not enclosed but Cura has a setting called "draft wall". It prints a wall 10 or 5 mm around the part and really does seem to help. it acts like a pseudo-enclosure. Yes it wates plastic, but it works. TRhe ABS parts donr look good but are strong. I am here because I decided to build a Voron too. I am strtimng withj a V0 and laster in the year will build a a 350mm V2.4 with some means for doing multi-materials, IDEX, "Rabit" or tap-changer. I don't know which. But you can marginally print ABS with an Ender. (Hint, gluse ceramic insulation undeer the bed and or convert to 24V heating.

I assume if you want a ABS printer that you have some use for ABS parts and can design them. If so you have above average mechanical ability. You will make mistakes and have to back out, take stuff apart and do it again. There is nothing you can build with a hex screw driver that can not be taken apart and rebuilt with the same screwdriver. I did this more than once.

Buy a kit and then replace parts as you see fit. The advice on-line is "LDO is best" but much of this advice is way older then 6 months old. That is eons in Internet time. All the kit sellers are improving fast. I just bought a FOrmbut kit and got very good parts and Moon's motors (I like Moon's specs better than LDO's. Formbut also allows you to make a special order and not buy the parts you don't want. Like for example I want an Octopus Pro and they said they will give credit for not shipping to plain octopus. Their printed parts were very good quality. They can ship standard kits to my house same day (I live 30 miles from the US warehouse)

Me personally, I would recommend going sort-of cheap and planning to upgrade later. Formbit offered the Phaetus Dragon for $40 and I went with that. Seems good. But later if I want to print very fast I might go with a high flow version.

I was sketpical of printed ABS extruders but now I am impressed with the steathburner and the mini stealth design. I don't know how long it will last but when it need replacing I will go with Orbiter 2.0

Is the larger 350mm worth the cost? If you need to print big parts it is 100% for sure worth it. But if you print smaller parts it is not good at all because of the long time to heat the chamber and let everything "heat soak". For this reason, I bought a V0.2 with a 120x120 bed. It will do 70% of what I need and will fit on a desktop and is portable. My next printer will be a V2.4 350mm with multi-material capability.

V2.4 or Trident? Iliked several things about V2.4: (1) The V2.4 bed does not move, the parts are not shaken or moved and (2) the gantry can "warp" to best fit the warped build plate. The four drive belts can do force the gantry to a best-fit to the bed. The Trident can level the bed to the gantry but the bed will not warp and will always be a plain. (when I say "warp", I mean 0.2mm over the 300mm square. and (3) the V2.4 can use a Kinematic bed mounting system.

"Tap changer" works on the V2.4. This is a current experiment tool changer that I like. I don't think this system could work on Trident.

I am currently drawing a V2.4-like 350mm printer using 2040 extrusions and with 40mm more room in the front and with double glassed clear panels and foam insulation for dark panels.

The V0.2 printer is actualy large enough to print all I need for the bigger V2.4 project.
I bought a Voron 2.4R2 300mm Siboor kit in September. I've almost finished assembling it, I don't have much free time each week.
I've added several mods such as hotkeys buttons on front skirt, chamber leds, pi camera, umbilical canbus, chaoctic lab tap and so on.
Next week I believe that I will start testing and adjusting it.
I've tried to print ASA/ABS on Ender 3 v2 printer. In summer, I can print with this material without warping but in winter it almost impossible because low temperatures outside.

Last edited: