What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Oiled my rails (and swapped to a stealthburner) now my toolhead is dropping to the print bed when motors shut off

piotrb

Voron Owner
Printer Model
Switchwire (Ender 3 conversion)
Extruder Type
Clockwork 2
Cooling Type
Stealthburner
Just wondering how common of a problem this is .. not sure if my oiled rails are now (for the first time) way smoother or something .. or if my SB build is much heavier than by older AB build .. but it feels a bit potentially damaging to have the nozzle drop (albeit much slower than if it was freefall) .. to the print bed when power is turned off to the motors.

Anyone else have this problem?

Removed the SW Klicky mount (my toolhead was giving me grief with it anyways) .. and now the weird is better .. but I do still wonder how people solve this for heavier toolhead solutions.

Just wondering how common of a problem this is .. not sure if my oiled rails are now (for the first time) way smoother or something .. or if my SB build is much heavier than by older AB build .. but it feels a bit potentially damaging to have the nozzle drop (albeit much slower than if it was freefall) .. to the print bed when power is turned off to the motors.

Anyone else have this problem?
This can be a symptom of having the weaker key bak - the BOM calls for the 13oz one , but some people (including myself) who accidentally bought the 8oz one would find it can't keep everything up. The difference I saw between the 8oz and the 13oz was night and day.

🤦‍♂️ .. HeavyDuty already sounded like its the stronger one .. but no .. there is also SuperDuty .. which is the 13oz one ..

Hmm the BOM has Key-Bak Super 48 Retractable Keychain .. perhaps that could be amended for clarity ..

Super -> SuperDuty
And perhaps add 13oz somewhere in that name ..

perhaps:
Key-Bak SuperDuty (13oz) 48" Retractable Keychain

Hmm the BOM has Key-Bak Super 48 Retractable Keychain .. perhaps that could be amended for clarity ..

Super -> SuperDuty

perhaps:
Agree, the sourcing guide does call for the 13oz version if I recall, but the BOM could be better.

Super -> SuperDuty

perhaps:
If im not mistaken they're both called Super48, and in the sourcing guide it is specified to get the 13oz one.
1669381510687.png

It is .. but it subtly got lost .. since I swapped out from amazon.com to amazon.ca in the URL to see the canadian version .. and while the US Amazon link had only one version (the Super) .. the Canadian one had the two strengths on it .. and I didn't notice the detail that Super was the "Size" option ..

In Canada as well and made the exact same mistake you did. My gantry has always come down slowly when motors power off but never crashes that hard and thought this was normal. Just saw this thread and now know better. Looks like I'm buying a new 13 oz.