What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

OV5640 flickering?

I am having a genuine infuriating issue. I just added an OV5640 wide-angle camera to my Trident that I got from DFH. Got it mounted and I can finally see my whole bed, but it seems when the chamber temps start to rise the camera flickers to a point I cannot see anything. I’ve restarted the Pi as well as Webcamd and tried different encoders in Mainsail to no change. Just trying to see if it’s the heat, my camera, or even the LEDs in my enclosure that’s to cause. Has anyone seen this?? B6EB087D-E851-44AB-AA93-4ECDF7D481E7.jpeg

I had mounted two cameras of this type on my Voron 2.4. As soon as I started heating they started flickering, getting violet pictures and finally failed. When printer was cold everything worked fine.

I exchanged the cameras with C920.

That’s exactly what is happening! Ugh… no real good camera solution for a trident. The C920 is too big and interferes with the SB during movements. Glad I’m not the only one though. Thank you!

I have an OV5648 in my Trident that has been working just fine. I replaced a 5640 with it because I was not happy with how the 5640 was working.

I have an OV5648 in my Trident that has been working just fine. I replaced a 5640 with it because I was not happy with how the 5640 was working.
I had an OV5648 on mine which worked perfectly, but its FOV was trash and I could only see a small part of the bed. Mind sharing where/how you have it mounted?

What's the difference OV5640 vs. 5640? I had the OV5640 in 60° and 160° mounted, both behaved the same.

That’s exactly what is happening! Ugh… no real good camera solution for a trident. The C920 is too big and interferes with the SB during movements. Glad I’m not the only one though. Thank you!
I loose some height in 2.4 as well when mounted on top front. But as I practically never print this high no problem for me. If I should need the height it's easy to temporarily dismount.

Could be mounted on back extrusion but I don't like the view from there.

Can it be enclosed in a manner that allows to pipe outside air into it? I guess that the camera does not like the heat.

Talking about a box with ducts for air intake and exaust.

Can it be enclosed in a manner that allows to pipe outside air into it? I guess that the camera does not like the heat.

Talking about a box with ducts for air intake and exaust.
I use a RaspiCam too which works best of all. Not worth the effort for OV5640 IMO

I had an OV5648 on mine which worked perfectly, but its FOV was trash and I could only see a small part of the bed. Mind sharing where/how you have it mounted?
I use the PanzerObserver2.4 mounted to the top front extrusion. I have the standard 70-deg FOV OV5648 mounted in it. Not the best view for monitoring the action right at the nozzle, but it provides a decent overview and I get most of the 250 bed in frame. It looks like this might be an abandoned mod? Took some digging to locate the Github: https://github.com/Slidr666/VoronUs...14d0a496/printer_mods/Slidr/PanzerObserver2.4