What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Random - Klipper reports: SHUTDOWN - Heater extruder not heating at expected rate

Alan

I mistakenly thought my Octopus V1.1 board died and recently replaced it with another of the same board. Turns out it was just a dead SD card in the Raspberry PI. Now at random I get a Klipper shutdown error that heater extruder not heating at expected rate. Happens maybe half the time. This typically happens during probing for the gantry leveling. Should I reinstall the old Octopus board, or is there something else I should try first? After I installed the new board I ran the initial setup steps and followed the PID calibration process for the extruder and hotbead.

Klipper reports: SHUTDOWN

Heater extruder not heating at expected rate
See the 'verify_heater' section in docs/Config_Reference.md
for the parameters that control this check.

I mistakenly thought my Octopus V1.1 board died and recently replaced it with another of the same board. Turns out it was just a dead SD card in the Raspberry PI. Now at random I get a Klipper shutdown error that heater extruder not heating at expected rate. Happens maybe half the time. This typically happens during probing for the gantry leveling. Should I reinstall the old Octopus board, or is there something else I should try first? After I installed the new board I ran the initial setup steps and followed the PID calibration process for the extruder and hotbead.

Klipper reports: SHUTDOWN

Heater extruder not heating at expected rate
See the 'verify_heater' section in docs/Config_Reference.md
for the parameters that control this check.
How is your temperature chart looking? If the heater is working sometimes, but fluctuates wildly, I would look at the thermistor crimps/wiring before the controller board. You said it happens more often while the toolhead is moving like during QGL, which also points to a sub-optimal crimp or bad wire.

Thanks for the tips! The heat chart looked like a volatile trading day stock chart. LOL. I had not noticed that before as the machine shuts down and that screen disappears. But watching it I noticed today the erratic sawtooth heat line. On 2nd time it shut down. Neither time the head was moving. Going to check connections on both ends (board that has connector on extruder that goes to chain, and at Octopus connection) and will report back what I find out. Don't have time for a couple of days to get to that now.

I pulled out and pluggled back in the connectors on the tool head PCB and no change. Then I loosened and tightened the screws on the PCB that has the harness connector from the tool head for the hotend, and problem solved. Those PCB's are nice to speed up the wiring, but they increase the number of failure points vs having single wires that go directly into the controller board. I'd consider direct wiring if I built another one.