What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Solved Skipping issues during printing big prints

forrana

Printer Model
Trident 350
Extruder Type
Clockwork 2
Cooling Type
Stealthburner
Have around 300h on my trident I think and basically, it was good so far when I print something small in the center.
If it's something big though or trying to print full plate - usually there is some high-level pitch sound occurs and leads to skipping.
Happens at random moments, on the current model for example at the beginning of the print. When it was oriented differently was happening at the end, was able to print 6 of those parts successfully actually but throw away may be another 6 that were ruined by skipping. Currently, it happens with TPU but had the same experience with full plate printing ABS parts at the very end of print.
Any help is appreciated I'm a bit out of ideas.
  • Tried checking the screws on X and Y motors pulleys - I used a thread locker and they are still dead solid there.
  • Tried tensioning belts better - now the sounds occur even earlier in the print it seems.
  • Stealthchop is not enabled.
  • Giving a higher current to the motors didn't help
  • Using almost default OrcaSlicer profile for Voron Trident with max volumetric speed limited to 8mm/s (HF TPU)
  • Checked belt paths, seem to be all as supposed to be, don't see any wear and tear on the belts.
  • Using klicky with auto Z calibration and first layers look perfect or almost perfect
So my only idea now is to try to order new X/Y steppers (it's copymaster3d branded ones, and came with a kit, not sure what they are worth in quality)
Or could it be smth else? Maybe smb had a similar experience?
Steppers are only lukewarm during active printing so shouldn't be an overheating issue.
My other idea was that the nozzle could hit some defects on print. but it seems that there's no serious defects when I abort the print and surely even if there are small bumps that shouldn't be an issue for a hot nozzle to pass through.

Was able to catch 2 incidents on my gopro camera, can't figure from videos much myself though.

I can't see your nozzle clearly, but I've found if my extrusion is too high, I can get a residual build up on it that will start to oxidise and char from the heat (might be a feature of Hatchbox ABS, I'm going to try running some eSun through it later) - but I've had deposits in slow perimeters that make an occasional "clunk" when the nozzle passes over (and it's a dark ugly wart in an otherwise pristine print). Could something similar be happening here? I've not tried TPU, so I've no idea how it behaves

The default Orca profiles are stupid fast. I don't know where they came up with the speeds, but they are way too high across the board. I'd try slowing those down a bunch.

I can't see your nozzle clearly, but I've found if my extrusion is too high, I can get a residual build up on it that will start to oxidise and char from the heat (might be a feature of Hatchbox ABS, I'm going to try running some eSun through it later) - but I've had deposits in slow perimeters that make an occasional "clunk" when the nozzle passes over (and it's a dark ugly wart in an otherwise pristine print). Could something similar be happening here? I've not tried TPU, so I've no idea how it behaves
Yeah I thought might be something like this as well but the surface looks pristine and If you check 1st video it's skipping for long several second with moving but not fully.
So it feels more realistically some mechanical/stepper issue.
I'll try to reprint with my super slicer speeds and meanwhile may be order LDO steppers to remove stepper from equation.

Attachments

• IMG_20240202_105634_381.jpg
    IMG_20240202_105634_381.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
The default Orca profiles are stupid fast. I don't know where they came up with the speeds, but they are way too high across the board. I'd try slowing those down a bunch.
Ok I actually made profiles similar to SuperSlicer defaults and was able to finish my print successfully!
I guess you were right, Thanks! Probably my steppers can't keep up with Orca's defaults. Will try to swap them to some better ones in the future and test again.

Attachments

• IMG_20240202_173125_629.jpg
    IMG_20240202_173125_629.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 3
The only stepper you would be worried about is the extruder.
I'm of the same opinion as Nero: I'd rather have a somewhat slower successful print than a really fast failure. I'm not running #speedboatraces.