What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Smoked EBB36 on power up. Possible Octopus damage.

teookie

I got unlucky and smoked a EBB36 CAN board on it's first power up. It was connected via CAN to an octopus v1.0 board which I assume took some damage because I can't see it via serial. Weird thing is I can still see the EBB via serial if I power it with USB.

The smoked component is what I assume to be a 6A fuse:
1670609879128.png

First I'd like to figure out what caused the EBB fuse to blow, and then I'd like to figure out why I can't see the Octopus via serial.

Prior to first power up I modified the EBB36 to take a PL-08 probe @ 24 volts. I PROBALBY SCREWED THIS UP SOMEHOW CAUSING THE BOARD TO BLOW. Here is the modification:

Extra row of headers glued on:
1670610133587.png

Then a BAT85 diode was soldered between one of the new pins and pin# PA5 on the EBB, and a jumper was added between another new pin and +24V from FAN0:
1670610295187.png

Here is the mod in schematic form:
1670610773630.png

I checked for bad solder joints prior to power up. Everything checked out.

I then plugged my PL-08 into +24V, BAT85, and GND.

I triple checked all my wiring.

I thought this would work but the board blew up. What went wrong?

I should mention that I had everything else hooked up to the board when it blew; heaters, fans, LED's, thermistor, motor. But I think my mod is the most likely culprit so I'm focused on that for now.

This is weird. Since the EBB still connects via serial over usb, I figure maybe it's still ok. I hooked up an external 5A fuse and ran a jumper around the burned fuse on the board so that it would power up. Hook it up to just power and no sensors fans or anything else and POP, the external fuse blows. Not too surprising, must be a problem with my mods so I remove those. It still pops the 5A fuse.

I'm beginning to think it was just a bad board to begin with.

Are you sure your 4 pin canbus connection is right? I read that the ebb36 is backwards compared to some of the other canbus boards.

Are you sure your 4 pin canbus connection is right? I read that the ebb36 is backwards compared to some of the other canbus boards.
Thanks for encouraging me to double check this. Turned out to be correct! I can't believe I had the power backwards! :Smacksforhead:

I made up a new connector and now everything works!

Thanks for encouraging me to double check this. Turned out to be correct! I can't believe I had the power backwards! :Smacksforhead:

I made up a new connector and now everything works!
I'm sorry if I'm posting this question in the wrong place but I just got an EBB36 and I have only done preliminary testing O have not powered it from 24v yet only via USB I want to make sure I don't fry my board and the pins file on the BTT gitbub is kinda unclear can someone confirm with a picture of that pins on the 4pin connector are for 24v + and negative is it the top 2 pins or the bottom 2