What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Solved stepper x / Motor B locked up

Printer Model
2.4 r2 fysetc
Extruder Type
Clockwork 1
Cooling Type
Afterburner
hi,
my stepper X / motor B has locked up.
i suspect i messed up when i was installing klicky probe, i misread the toolhead pcb and had one of the wires in the wrong pin, tough i noticed the mistake somewhat immediately after powering on the printer, so less then 1 min.

after correcting the wire, i kept going and when i got to the point where i had to home so i could find the mount location, it just went BRRR (rubbing belt on motor B wheel(?)), after 1-2 hours i figured out it was the motor thats locked up and not a config problem, did a total of 4 homing attempts, hopefully that didnt mess up more.

is there anything i can do, or is there a way to check/test driver (tmc2209) and motor to see which is bad (or mcu spider v2.3), or is it just buying a new stepper motor and driver, printer is about 48 hours old, i see this as a learning experience, and im still smilling :)

i´ll gladly share any logs or anything if it can help you to help me :)

thanks

Last edited:
When I hear/see “locked up”, I take it as the motor will not turn at all regardless of method (via control inputs or physically trying to rotate the motor). Is this the case?

If you are actually able to move the toolhead around by hand, you probably have a wiring issue with the motor. A damaged motor wire or crimp connection can cause a motor to buzz, but not actually move as intended.

As far as testing motor and stepper driver, the easiest thing to do is to swap the stepper drivers for the A and B motors to see if the problem follows the suspected stepper driver.

When I hear/see “locked up”, I take it as the motor will not turn at all regardless of method (via control inputs or physically trying to rotate the motor). Is this the case?

If you are actually able to move the toolhead around by hand, you probably have a wiring issue with the motor. A damaged motor wire or crimp connection can cause a motor to buzz, but not actually move as intended.

As far as testing motor and stepper driver, the easiest thing to do is to swap the stepper drivers for the A and B motors to see if the problem follows the suspected stepper driver.
after looking at it more earlier today i can say it isnt completly locked up, idk when turned on, but when it is off i can rotate it but it is much harder to turn, compared to the other once, so i guess the motor is somewhat dead.
I dont know why i didnt think of switching the drivers, thank you, im gonna try that tomorrow (currently 2-3 am here) just to see if the driver is also dead which i dont think it is since it reacted to the stepper buzz command, but better to know and save an extra trip in case it is dead. but before i go to the store im also gonna check the wires.

thank you again, ill report back tomorrow.

thank you again ah2049, the problem is now solved :D
i swapped the driver, same issue, so the drivers are good, after that i tried turning the motor by hand still very hard to turn(both powered and unpowered), then i unplugged the motor (printer powered off ofc) and tested the wires had connection in both ends, everthing fine there aswell, so i took out the motor since i thought i had to get a new one so might aswell have it with me to my 3D fix supplier, then i noticed it was turning better and that the belt wheel/cog had gotten loose, so i tighten it and plugged it in did the stepper_buzz and it turned back and forth, so i shoved it in again and now it is running.

now im not sure if the cog fixed it, or if it was just unplug and plug it back in that fixed it, but it is running again now :)

thank you again ah2049, the problem is now solved :D
i swapped the driver, same issue, so the drivers are good, after that i tried turning the motor by hand still very hard to turn(both powered and unpowered), then i unplugged the motor (printer powered off ofc) and tested the wires had connection in both ends, everthing fine there aswell, so i took out the motor since i thought i had to get a new one so might aswell have it with me to my 3D fix supplier, then i noticed it was turning better and that the belt wheel/cog had gotten loose, so i tighten it and plugged it in did the stepper_buzz and it turned back and forth, so i shoved it in again and now it is running.

now im not sure if the cog fixed it, or if it was just unplug and plug it back in that fixed it, but it is running again now :)
A loose pulley can definitely make a weird noise as the motor shaft flat spot rotates and hits the loose grub screw. A little bit of threadlocker goes a long way to preventing those little grub screws from backing out.

I’m happy to hear that you’re back up and running. Happy printing!