What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Question Switchwire, V0, Trident, V2.4 what are the criteria to choose a printer to own?

Pradit

Hi anyone please share me how do you determine which printer to own?

What are the price range for each build?

Are there any general purpose for each printer suitable?

ie: for kid, economy, best value, education, small space apartment, school project, business, ease of maintenance, best performance, etc...

msaeger

My first one I got in 2016 was because I got interested after listening to the 3d printing today podcast and I found a cheap i3 kit. I was constantly trying different modifications on that one. The second one a, CR200B was wanting something my kid could use that I would leave stock and not tinker with. That one ended up having a electrical issue so I got a ender 3V2 for the kid to use then I replaced the board on the CR200B and put klipper on there. It now works really good for printing the voron parts. Now I am building the V2 because I like building printers and there is a good community around the voron machines.

120decibell

Administrator
Staff member
Voron Owner
Hi anyone please share me how do you determine which printer to own?

What are the price range for each build?

Are there any general purpose for each printer suitable?

ie: for kid, economy, best value, education, small space apartment, school project, business, ease of maintenance, best performance, etc...

3dRikal

I would say (for a hobbyist like me)
  1. budget
  2. space
  3. knowledge of the domain (3dp ain't hard but... there's a lot to learn if you are not from the modeling/machining/prototyping background)
My 1st printer was a (please, don't laugh guys) an Anycubic I3 Mega S. At the time, less than 400$. My Switchwire (after dabbling for 3 years with my Frankenstein) will cost me over 1100$ (prices are Canadian) and a not insignificant number of hours to build. I didn't even source myself and went with a LDO BOM. We each have our main interest.. for me, the building part is the most terrifying yet satisfying part. Others will fine tune their printers to print as fast or as perfectly as possible.

No matter what, I went for a Switchwire because of budget and space... building it now and when I finish... in a few weeks LOL... i'll probably start tuning so I can print upgrades in ABS with it.