What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

TMC2226

triafgg@

Printer Model
2.4 300x300
Extruder Type
Clockwork 2
Cooling Type
Stealthburner
I have just completed a 2.4 300 build and everything is working fine. All components were sourced from the BOM rather than a kit and in a moment of madness bought TMC2226 drivers rather than the 2209s commonly used. The board is an Octopus V1.1. Currently my printer.cfg has the usual [tmc2209 stepper_x] headers and set for UART mode. It seems that the 2226's can run in SPI mode so my question is, should I set up [tmc2226 stepper_x] headers and change the board jumpers to SPI mode and use the SPI settings for cs_pin:, spi_bus, spi_software_sclk_pin:, spi_software_mosi_pin:, spi_software_miso_pin: etc or just leave it in UART mode as per 2209's. As I understand it there is very little, if any, gain speed wise using SPI but these are meant to run cooler, will I still get that benefit? I have felt them and they seem to run very cool, so maybe. Is there likely to be any issues running them in UART mode? I have changed sense_resistor: to 0.150 which is supposed to be specific for TMC2226. Many thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I would stay with UART and not worry about it. The only real difference is in the way the driver is made, and that helps dissipate heat.

I would stay with UART and not worry about it. The only real difference is in the way the driver is made, and that helps dissipate heat.
Thanks, yes I was thinking that. So no issues using this driver then with 2209 settings. Less work to leave as is so happy with that.

Thanks, yes I was thinking that. So no issues using this driver then with 2209 settings. Less work to leave as is so happy with that.
Yep, no changes needed except maybe, name and sense.

[tmc2226 stepper_x]
uart_pin: PC4
interpolate: false
run_current: 0.8
sense_resistor: 0.150
stealthchop_threshold: 0

Yep, no changes needed except maybe, name and sense.

[tmc2226 stepper_x]
uart_pin: PC4
interpolate: false
run_current: 0.8
sense_resistor: 0.150
stealthchop_threshold: 0
Klipper doesn't seem to like this change in name though, it will error out during config load, at least it does it for me after I tried changing the tmc2209 stepper to tmc2226 stepper name :)

Nevertheless, that's a very tiny thing to worry about, but I have another trouble... I'm running these drivers in UART and I do have 1.8 deg motors and I do hear quite a lot of coil whine when the motors are idle. It seems to be coming from A and B motors only though... when Z moves alone and stops, they are dead silent in idle.

Does anyone have any suggestion on what to look for? Tried setting stealthchop to 999999 and it did help, but the buzz was still quite audible... and since it also seems that this mode isn't totally recommended, I changed it back to 0. Tried different run_current values from 0.6 up to 1.4 which should be my maximum according the the formula on Voron documentation = 2A * 0.707. Verified connection points, I'm using a dupont connector in a JST header, but I doubt that this could be the reason. I'm sort of starting to blame the actual stepper motors, but I'm not really sure how to validate that.

Klipper doesn't seem to like this change in name though, it will error out during config load, at least it does it for me after I tried changing the tmc2209 stepper to tmc2226 stepper name :)

Nevertheless, that's a very tiny thing to worry about, but I have another trouble... I'm running these drivers in UART and I do have 1.8 deg motors and I do hear quite a lot of coil whine when the motors are idle. It seems to be coming from A and B motors only though... when Z moves alone and stops, they are dead silent in idle.

Does anyone have any suggestion on what to look for? Tried setting stealthchop to 999999 and it did help, but the buzz was still quite audible... and since it also seems that this mode isn't totally recommended, I changed it back to 0. Tried different run_current values from 0.6 up to 1.4 which should be my maximum according the the formula on Voron documentation = 2A * 0.707. Verified connection points, I'm using a dupont connector in a JST header, but I doubt that this could be the reason. I'm sort of starting to blame the actual stepper motors, but I'm not really sure how to validate that.
You can also try setting steathchop to 0.1 and it might help. Some motors are just loud at certain speeds.