What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Too much?

jluvs2ride

Fixing to jump into 2.4 R2 build from a kit provided by Voronkits dot com.

After lurking, watching YouTube's, reading various forums, I believe I want to build a stealth burner hot end with a CW2 extruder controlled by CAN bus with the tappy.

My electric, mechanical, and programming skills are above average. Am I taking too big a bite here? I'd like to go ahead and get some of these things done during the build instead of going back and doing upgrades later.

As long as you have everything planned out, I think you'll be fine. When I built my V0.1, I went with a bone stock setup with the intention of upgrading it later. I've got it running like a champ now and I don't want to tear it apart to do those upgrades...

As twiget suggested, I expect with your background, you would be fine to do the upgrades up front. I built mine from a Formbot kit and I also built it stock at first. 2.4 R2 with Afterburner and a Dragon HF hotend. I LOVE this unit. I have almost everything to switch it to a Stealthburner and CAN. I have the Stealth 95% complete, but I am in no hurry to switch just yet.

When I was looking for my Voron kit, Formbot offered some good savings for black Friday deals. I found their price a lot less than Voronkits. All of the included parts are very good.

Whatever you go with, enjoy the build process. I sure did. So much so, I expect to start another build soon. Best of luck on your Voron venture.

Yeah, I kind of feel like once I get it up and running and dialed in the way I want it that I'm going to be like the rest of y'all and slow to do upgrades so I kind of feel like I want to do this stuff up front.

Thanks for the feedback.

CAN bus can be a little tricky to most. I would suggest bench loading it if possible before just adding it. But since it will be a new build, might be find just figuring it out as you go.

I would do it. I used a lot of modded parts for my initial build in October and wish I would have used sensorless homing, Can and Umbilical. Tap was comming later, but when building today I would do this directly as well. If it works great, if not you have to find the problems anyways, no matter if it's original or modded...

I would do it. I used a lot of modded parts for my initial build in October and wish I would have used sensorless homing, Can and Umbilical. Tap was comming later, but when building today I would do this directly as well. If it works great, if not you have to find the problems anyways, no matter if it's original or modded...
Looked a little further into the tap and I'm not as enthusiastic as I was. Now I think I want the Euclid Probe.

Right now I'm waiting on the printed parts for the printer. Is it advisable to go ahead and wire up the main board, PI, etc to go ahead and install firmware, configs, etc?

I had two Euclid's die after days of using them. I switched to Klicky and unkicky and did not have too many issues other then the mounting bracket came a little lose and was throwing off my Z.
YMMV
I like TAP, its just heavy but you only lose a little acceleration but if that is what you want, one of the other methods might be better.

I first had Klicky and very inconsistent measurements. Moved to Tap and they are very consistent now. And I could get rid of some cabling and Z endstop as well as some macros (Klicky, auto-z). It makes it a little heavier but I think if you want to go light the SB is not the right way anyways. I did not have to dial anything down so I like it :) Was skeptical as well but for me it was worth it.

So right now, looks like CANBus with Umbilical, Euclid Probe, Stealthburner with Mosquito Magnum. Looking at sensor less homing.