What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Trident or 0.2 - What is rigth for first DIY printer?

SyPat3d

Hello,
I have been into 3D printing for about 5 years now, but I only have my first printer now. As I'm technically adept, would claim not to have two left hands, and like to tinker, I would like to build my next print myself and I am currently struggling with a very difficult decision: Voron 0.2 or Voron Trident.

Of course, the 0.2 costs maybe 50% of the Trident, but I'm afraid that I might regret this decision later with only looking to the cost, because I wikk build a second printer in the near future...

Do you see any clear advantages or disadvantages to either printer? Especially if you are building a 3D printer for the first time?
Or do you have any other aspects (besides buildroom and money) that I should consider when making my decision to make it a little easier for me?

Thanks everyone for your answers! :)

Of course, the 0.2 costs maybe 50% of the Trident, but I'm afraid that I might regret this decision later with only looking to the cost, because I wikk build a second printer in the near future...
I think you're right: you'll be happier with a bigger build area. For me assembling v2.4 hardware was easy, then learning configs and Pi and MCU etc has been the slow/difficult part. I doubt that would have been any different for me with any of the Klipper model printers. Wiring and getting your hands/tools around things is easier on a bigger chassis too. Go for a Trident IMO!

Last edited:
I think you're right: you'll be happier with a bigger build area. For me assembling v2.4 hardware was easy, then learning configs and Pi and MCU etc has been the slow/difficult part. I doubt that would have been any different for me with any of the Klipper model printers. Wiring and getting your hands/tools around things is easier on a bigger chassis too. Go for a Trident IMO!

Thanks for your reply.

I noticed that the Trident is only 30$ less the 2.4 as Formbot kit.

I thought that the 2.4 would be much more expensive and doesn’t include it in my decision at beginning. Are there other hidden cost or would you recommend also a 2.4 for the first diy?

Build a Trident you won't regret it 🙂 It's very well balanced build, easier for newbies as first voron because it has fewer parts and is mechanically less complex.

0.2 is cheaper, but also smaller, and uses profiles where you cannot insert nuts post install. It's not uncommon to disassemble half the printer because you forgot to preload nut somewhere.

Thanks for your reply.

I noticed that the Trident is only 30$ less the 2.4 as Formbot kit.

I thought that the 2.4 would be much more expensive and doesn’t include it in my decision at beginning. Are there other hidden cost or would you recommend also a 2.4 for the first diy?
I don't have the experience to say because I've only used the 2.4 and that's been only for test prints like benchy boats so far. I have been looking wistfully toward the holding power of Z-screws on the Trident because when power's off for the 2.4... the 4 belts can slide around dropping 1 or more corners. This might be me thinking grass is greener on the other side and I might outgrow it soon. The 2.4 is amazing me so far when it's printing, but I think the Trident would too.

I built a 250 Trident first (about 18 months ago) and it's been a workhorse. I am currently building (very slowly) a V0.2. The V0 is much smaller and the build is very particular in order of operations, and paying very close attention to each step--a mistake can mean unbuilding half the printer to fix it. I'm glad I went in this order.

I went from Prusa MK3's to V0 to V2.4. I build the V0 out of necessity to reliably printing ABS parts *for* the 2.4 build. Between the two, the V0 is tight since it's so small so if we're talking about your first DIY printer, I'd go Trident myself.

The reason I said Trident over 2.4 is the Z belt stuff I found was overly involved for a first build. The rest of it is pretty straightforward. I opted for a 2.4 since I built a 350 (I needed the space) but if (really not if more like when =) ) I were to build another Voron, it'd probably be a 250 Trident (which probably is in my future). The tradeoff between the lead screw bed leveling vs flying gantry I don't think is massive. It IS nice that the build plate never moves on the 2.4 so you can't shake parts loose but having to deal with quad-gantry-leveling or modding it for klickly/beacon/tap, etc. goes beyond what I would want to do myself for my first DIY printer.

Complexity wise, the V0 is the simplest so if you don't mind the cramped quarters it would be the best one to start with in my opinion. It's a really fun little printer.

In my eyes, both are pretty good options but it really depends on your use case of said printer.
The V0 is a very good printer but the downside is the small bed.

You can build a V0 and use that to print all the parts of the trident for your second future build.

...or do like I did and go the other way around. 😁 Both are great printers, though I am really appreciating the auto bed leveling on the Trident--that's giving me fits on the V0 right now.

Built an EnderWire first, then a v0 and just finished up a Trident 350. If you have the room, I'd recommend the Trident over a v0 as it was easier IMOA.
Also, if I could recommend the Magic Phoenix CBT kit over the other non-LDO kits. Came with most everything you'll end up adding or upgrading on the cheaper ones, latest versions of hardware and great support through their discord. I'd buy again.