What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Trident or V2.4, 300 or 350

Rusty105

Hey everyone, new here, and looking for some opinions and guidance.

I am looking for a larger/faster printer, current;y have a Prusa MK3S+ with a MMU3. I am looking to add to my capabilities with both speed and volume of build area, with MMU as well. While researching other printers, Prusa XL, Bambu, Creality, I came across Voron, a name I have not heard of before, so I looked into them, and here I am.

I am looking for either a 300 or 350 size, but do I go with a Trident, or the 2.4?

I guess the biggest difference between the two is the bed ? One moves and one is stationary. Are there other significant differences? Is there a big speed/quality difference between the two? Looking for opinions.

As far as size.... I am going back and forth between the 300 and 350. The 250x210 bed on the MK3S+ is a bit small for some of the things I would like to print, And also being able to print multiple medium sized objects in nice, but how much more current will the 350 draw compared to the 300?, Bed is 45% bigger.

I think I am up for the build, just need to learn a little about the different models.

Thanks!
Rusty

I guess the biggest difference between the two is the bed ? One moves and one is stationary. Are there other significant differences? Is there a big speed/quality difference between the two?
That's precisely that. There is no print quality difference between a well-tuned Trident and 2.4, so it's up to you to decide which one to build. The Trident is easier to assemble and have fewer printed parts.

As for the printer volume, the common advices are:
  1. build a printer as small as the biggest part you intend to print; and
  2. when in doubt, build a 300 mm.
Looking at Keenovo webstore, the heater for a 300 mm printer consumes 500 W maximum, while the 350 mm version goes up to 750 W.

That's precisely that. There is no print quality difference between a well-tuned Trident and 2.4, so it's up to you to decide which one to build. The Trident is easier to assemble and have fewer printed parts.

As for the printer volume, the common advices are:
  1. build a printer as small as the biggest part you intend to print; and
  2. when in doubt, build a 300 mm.
Looking at Keenovo webstore, the heater for a 300 mm printer consumes 500 W maximum, while the 350 mm version goes up to 750 W.

Thanks!

As far as the heater, it makes sense, the 350 is almost 50% larger by mm^2.

Right now I am on the fence with 300 vs 350. I haven't really dug too far into it, but what is the approximate difference in price between the two?

Rusty

Max build height is also a consideration. Stock Trident design maxes out at 250mm for all three sizes (although the LDO 300mm cube kit does go to 300mm), while for the v2 it varies. 230mm for the 250, 280mm for the 300, and 330mm for the 350.

As for which size to go with, I'll playfully say that's why I have both. 300mm Trident is a really nice all-rounder, and I'm building a 350mm v2 because I wanted something with more volume for cosplay and/or larger parts, and being able to print many of those parts as a single piece.

Thanks!

As far as the heater, it makes sense, the 350 is almost 50% larger by mm^2.

Right now I am on the fence with 300 vs 350. I haven't really dug too far into it, but what is the approximate difference in price between the two?

Rusty
I have just built my first Voron 2.4 350 R2 with Canbus and CNC Tap Z-homing. I am so happy that I went for the 350. I bought my kit from Magic Phoenix (minus the functional ABS Prints) - Got my Prints directly off the PIF program and am sooo happy and proud over what I ended up with.

Hi, new here also.
Familiar to a point with Voron. Have printed a lot of the plastics for others.

My first question other than which model to get, I want 350 bed for sure, is where to source a kit for most parts? Or where is the best place for cost/good materials?
I will print my own parts.

Thanks for initial advice.

Well, kit or self source (kit's much easier these days)? Where in the world are you located? That will help us to guide you to vendors.

Well, kit or self source (kit's much easier these days)? Where in the world are you located? That will help us to guide you to vendors.
Good points, thanks!

Oklahoma, USA.
I think kit for the basics, I will make plastics and could source extruder, hotend etc. based on recommendations.

OK, US. KB-3D, West3D, Fabreeko, DFH are the main ones I use. I self-sourced most of my Trident parts from them (with some stuff from Grainger, Amazon, Ali, and a few other one-off bits). I just got my LDO V0.2 kit from Fabreeko. IMHO it was well worth the extra cost over others.

OK, US. KB-3D, West3D, Fabreeko, DFH are the main ones I use. I self-sourced most of my Trident parts from them (with some stuff from Grainger, Amazon, Ali, and a few other one-off bits). I just got my LDO V0.2 kit from Fabreeko. IMHO it was well worth the extra cost over others.
Thank you.
I guess next question would be which to go with?

I am looking for largest X,Y build space. Would like to be able to enclose it. Overall reliability for long prints, 100-300 hours. I do some big stuff!
I am thinking V2?
I appreciate the help.

Looks like a LDO V2.4 kit from one of them is the way to go.
I guess hotend preference would be one thing to consider. I'd only be printing PLA and ABS on this one. Unlikely any other materials as I have machines for abrasive materials.

So, I've been thinking. The Bambu Lab X1C is the gold standard in coreXY, hell consumer 3d printer in general. The v2.4 and the Trident both, as far as I can tell, can give comparable/ better performance and quality to that machine. The one thing I think the Bumbu has that the Voron doesn't is the AMS (MMS) [ trust me... I am getting the point ]. The AMS can be replicated with ERCF or the Annex Trad rack. But there is still a problem. The retraction distance, on the v2.4, is variable, on the trident it isn't. So if the quality and the speed are comparable, then the only thing that could set them apart is the efficiency of an MMS. For that reason, I would suggest the Trident.