What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

V0.1 - Extruder stops extruding after 20 - 30 min.

becrazy

Printer Model
Voron V0.1
Hello,
I am facing a problem with my Voron V0.1, which I cannot get rid off.
When I am printing with PLA and the print time exceeds around 30 min, then the extruder begins to stuck or not to extract enough filament through the extruder. If this happens, I can manually push the filament and then the extruding works for some minutes, but then it happens again. The last time it was stucking, I saw that the filament had a "worn" position from the extruder gears. So the extruder was not able to grip the filament anymore.

The extruder uses a Phaetus Dragon ST hotend.

The following things I have already tried:
1. replace the PTFE tube to a new one. --> doesn't show any effect
2. replace the extruder gears to a new one
3. different retraction settings, because I thougt it happened often, when there is more retract happening. --> at the moment I am working with retraction = 0
4. different hotend temperatures, but I cannot figure out, if this has an influence.
5. checking and replacing the PTFE tube between toothwheel and hotend.

The printer is completely enclosed. When I remove the top cover it seems that it is not happening so often.
In my other printers (Anet A8, Geetech A10M, Reprap NEO) I never had the problem, that the filament was stucking.

Do you have any recommendation what to do to solve the problem?

Best regards,
Benny

Ah, I see the issue.
The printer is completely enclosed. When I remove the top cover it seems that it is not happening so often.

This right there, you answered your own question :) Do not print PLA enclosed, save that for ABS and other materials that need it. Remove tophat and open the door. Install additional cooling if needed.

Thank you very much for this hint. With open door and without top hat I have no problems.

I was not aware about the glas transition temperature, which at least explains everything.

Hello,
I am facing a problem with my Voron V0.1, which I cannot get rid off.
When I am printing with PLA and the print time exceeds around 30 min, then the extruder begins to stuck or not to extract enough filament through the extruder. If this happens, I can manually push the filament and then the extruding works for some minutes, but then it happens again. The last time it was stucking, I saw that the filament had a "worn" position from the extruder gears. So the extruder was not able to grip the filament anymore.

The extruder uses a Phaetus Dragon ST hotend.

The following things I have already tried:
1. replace the PTFE tube to a new one. --> doesn't show any effect
2. replace the extruder gears to a new one
3. different retraction settings, because I thougt it happened often, when there is more retract happening. --> at the moment I am working with retraction = 0
4. different hotend temperatures, but I cannot figure out, if this has an influence.
5. checking and replacing the PTFE tube between toothwheel and hotend.

In my other printers (Anet A8, Geetech A10M, Reprap NEO) I never had the problem, that the filament was stucking.

Do you have any recommendation what to do to solve the problem?

Best regards,
Benny
I had the same exact problems you have. Turned out for me to be a bad extruder motor bearing.