What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Question Voron Mini SB not pulling correctly

Printer Model
Voron 0.2
Extruder Type
Other
Cooling Type
Other
Hello everyone,
I bought a Formbot voron 0.2 kit and after partially assembling the MiniSB, when I try to do the filament gear check (feed filament through the gears and see if it creates light teeth marks) it will not feed for the life of me.
To be clear, there is NO stepper attached, just the motor plate.
The tension screw is screwed all the way and the antisquish thingamajig is backed all the way in.
I have reprinted the guidler and disassembled and reassembled the extruder multiple times and I am almost at the end of my wits.
Thanks!

1st ensure that the filament path is clear. Remove the gears and see if there are obstructions in the filament path. Perhaps drill it out with a 1.8mm drill bit (#49 or #50 for numbered drills).

2nd ensure that the spacing of the drive gears is proper and that the broached "gripper" area is lined up with the filament hole. Also for the Idler. The idler should be free to rotate as well.

1st ensure that the filament path is clear. Remove the gears and see if there are obstructions in the filament path. Perhaps drill it out with a 1.8mm drill bit (#49 or #50 for numbered drills).

2nd ensure that the spacing of the drive gears is proper and that the broached "gripper" area is lined up with the filament hole. Also for the Idler. The idler should be free to rotate as well.
Alright! How could I space the drive gears properly?

You look down the hole and you can see if the rounded cutout for the filament in the drive gears is lined up with the hole.

So I got back home and checked. The filament path is fine, however I couldn't see any gear cutouts in the filament path.

Sometimes I need to cut an angle on the end of the filament to get it to feed. The filament will have a slight curve, I cut a bevel on the end to work against that curve.

The filament will go through the extruder, the gears just don't have any grip
The cutouts go in the filament path and the gears mesh with each other

The filament will go through the extruder, the gears just don't have any grip
The cutouts go in the filament path and the gears mesh with each other
It's possible that the parts for your kit are over-extruded, the mini-sb has a design flaw in which it's not possible for the extrusion gears to touch, leading to low pulling force on the filament.
If you can reprint the parts, i recommend that you instead build the sherpa micro with this remix of the miniSB: https://github.com/JackJack3231/MiniSB-Extruder-Mounts or the dragon burner, which will give you better cooling, but you would need to change the part cooling fans for 4010s: https://github.com/chirpy2605/voron/tree/main/V0/Dragon_Burner
Good luck with your build, i know it's a late reply, but i hope someone else can find this useful.

Hi, did you solve your problem?
I had the same issue with my formbot kit. After trying almost everything I was still limited to extrusion rates below 7qmm/s and so I replaced the complete toolhead. I went for the dragon burner with the orbiter extruder. It fixed all problems.
My formbot kit contained a crappy set of bond tech gears. Their teeth were not sharp and/or deep enough to grab the filament correctly. So the easiest fix would have been replacing them, of course.
Happy printing!

Hi, did you solve your problem?
I had the same issue with my formbot kit. After trying almost everything I was still limited to extrusion rates below 7qmm/s and so I replaced the complete toolhead. I went for the dragon burner with the orbiter extruder. It fixed all problems.
My formbot kit contained a crappy set of bond tech gears. Their teeth were not sharp and/or deep enough to grab the filament correctly. So the easiest fix would have been replacing them, of course.
Happy printing!
Hi, I did not solve my problem and instead went with a bondtech cht lite mod and the printer works now!
Thanks for the help