What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Voron Tap thought - better X extrusion twist management ?

Oberon

Hi, would like to pick some minds on a shower thought :

Skew / twist of the X extrusion and similar issues (like misaligned dual mgn9 rails even though that's not relevant to Tap) are difficult to detect and correct. My understanding based on this analysis is that bed mesh can't correct for twist because the probe (mag, clicky, euclid,...) is offset from the nozzle for obvious reasons.

Does Tap solve this by probing with the nozzle ? An extrusion twist would still cause the toolhead to twist slightly but at least bed mesh would be correct right ?

Last edited:
That’s correct. Since there is no probe offset with tap, a twisted extrusion would show up in the bed mesh and be compensated for automatically

That’s correct. Since there is no probe offset with tap, a twisted extrusion would show up in the bed mesh and be compensated for automatically
Thanks ! One more reason to switch to Tap, no printer is perfect and removing these errors is a good thing.

I'm still torn because my stock setup (Omron mag and mech. mech. switch z probe) is working well and Tap is going to make the tool head heavier... but I have all the hardware save for the cheap optical sensor, probably won't resist the temptation to try it.

I think you bring up a good point. Evidently this is not a problem, but it seems to me that the 600g force required by TAP would be enough to torque the X-extrusion slightly. More so when tool-head is near center of X travel. Regardless, TAP looks superior to any other method of determining nozzle height. I’m looking forward to having it.

Just to be clear, I was speaking about an already twisted X extrusion which is not uncommon. I did not mean to imply the Tap design would create a twist. That being said, it is theoretically possible, but the lever arm is really small and the force gets "released" once the magnets' force is overcome so the actual probing is done with zero force applied to the extrusion... resisting the magnet is really not likely to cause a plastic or even measurable deformation.

Last edited:
Just to be clear, I was speaking about an already twisted X extrusion which is not uncommon. I did not mean to imply the Tap design would create a twist. That being said, it is theoretically possible, but the lever arm is really small and the force gets "released" once the magnets' force is overcome to the actual probing is done with zero force applied to the axis... resisting the magnet is really not likely to cause a plastic or even measurable deformation.
Thanks. I didn’t completely think things through.

Hi I would like to try it out but I don't see a problem with my voron and klicky for the moment. Is this experimental or proven to be better ?