What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

What do you clean your acrylic panels with?

I use isopropyl alcohol and paper towel. IDK if it's the best solution but it's sitting right near my printers so.....

i would suggest using a good degreaser like 409 or Simple Green to get the condensed styrene off, and then glass cleaner to get rid of streaks. If Windex gets it all for you first go, no harm in skipping the degreaser.

And while we are on the topic, I did a bunch of testing with VOC sensors a while back, and the #1 thing that helped reduce VOCs from printers was to keep the interior panels clean.

And while we are on the topic, I did a bunch of testing with VOC sensors a while back, and the #1 thing that helped reduce VOCs from printers was to keep the interior panels clean.
Come Again??
The molecules are attracted to each other or something?

Come Again??
The molecules are attracted to each other or something?
As a chemist (Yes, I’m actually a chemist with a PhD in inorganic chemistry), I can confirm that your statement that molecules are attracted to each other is indeed correct! In this case, styrene is attracted to acrylic, and windows get sticky.

What happens is that styrene that gets released when filament gets hot will condense from a gas to a liquid and get on the windows. When you heat up the windows, they start slowly releasing that styrene back into the air. If you clean it off when the windows are cold, then it doesn’t get re-released when the printer gets hot again. Even with a charcoal filter you still get styrene depositing in the windows. So, #1 thing to keep smell down is to clean the windows.

also, if that last comment was just sarcasm, sorry! It’s late and I need to go to sleep. :)

As a chemist (Yes, I’m actually a chemist with a PhD in inorganic chemistry), I can confirm that your statement that molecules are attracted to each other is indeed correct! In this case, styrene is attracted to acrylic, and windows get sticky.

What happens is that styrene that gets released when filament gets hot will condense from a gas to a liquid and get on the windows. When you heat up the windows, they start slowly releasing that styrene back into the air. If you clean it off when the windows are cold, then it doesn’t get re-released when the printer gets hot again. Even with a charcoal filter you still get styrene depositing in the windows. So, #1 thing to keep smell down is to clean the windows.

also, if that last comment was just sarcasm, sorry! It’s late and I need to go to sleep. :)
Thanks for sharing this information Dave. My first thought is how can we stop if from sticking to the Acrylic? Maybe like using Ceramic coatings that are used in long term car paint care? I am sure the Styrene has to go some place but I want my windows as clean as possible.

Thanks for the expert explanation, it makes total logical sense. In a nutshell: keep your printer clean to reduce the stink.

No sarcasm at all!
Thanks very much! I've learned something new today. Gonna put a fire under my backside about getting those panels cleaned! :)

Thanks for sharing this information Dave. My first thought is how can we stop if from sticking to the Acrylic? Maybe like using Ceramic coatings that are used in long term car paint care? I am sure the Styrene has to go some place but I want my windows as clean as possible.
I think about it this way: if it sticks to the panels, it’s not in the air that I’m breathing. It more has to do with temperatures and the evaporation of styrene. It’s like condensation on a glass—not much you can do about that physics. So the styrene will get on stuff regardless of what coatings you may put on things. It may make it stick less when cleaning, but the deposition will still happen. What the carbon does is provide a more attractive surface for the styrene to stick to while it’s a gas. It’s still a competitive dance: the carbon won’t catch 100% of the styrene, so some will still get on the panels. Keep cleaning and keep changing carbon, and that’s going to get you in the right direction.

Last edited: