What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

What tools do I need for formbot kit?

shkup

I purchased a formbot v0 kit that is on the way. From your experience, do I have to prior purchase completary tools?
Are there bad parts that I better purchase a replacement to?

allen keys, syringe for greasing the rails, grease for the rails, ziploc bags to clean the rails with alcohol, loctite (blue, the bottle is red but the lable is blue), screwdriver, wire crimper, soldering iron for heat inserts.

Greetings, there is a set of tools recommended for building a VORON (or any DIY printer in general. These include:
  • Metric Allen keys usually 1.5 - 3 mm. Popular brands are for example Wera, but I am also happy with set from Triangle Labs or Fabreeko.
  • Calipers or verniers. You don't need Mitutoyo brand but don't buy the cheapest either
  • Soldering iron with tip for inserting heatset inserts, or at least wider conical tip. Cheap 12 dollar iron with adjustable temperature will do if you do not want to use your premium one. Some occasional soldering may be needed too.
  • Digital multimeter for measuring continuity, voltage and resistance
  • Quality crimpers for Molex, JST and Dupont connectors. Popular are Engineer PA-09 or new PA-21 said to be even better; Iwiss (Icrimp) IWS-2820M, ratcheting IWS-3220M or SN-2549 (both work better for JST) and SN-025 for Duponts. Engineer PA-21 now have dupont dies too so those are probably the most universal. Buy terminals and few housings too, you can buy sets of those. Even if kit comes with stuff pre-crimped, you will want to replace broken wires or install mods.
  • Crimpers for ferrules (square of hex) and for forks, rings etc. Get some extra terminals too.
  • Machinist square, measuring tape or rules comes in handy when squaring the frame
  • Some other things like pliers, tweezers, various screwdrivers, set of files, hot air gun or lighter for heatsets will not get lost either. Get a screw extractor too ... you never know 😅
With Formbot kit, if you got a Dragon HF, get 50W cartridge right off the bat. Get a replacement hotend fan just in case, their previous batches had fans which tend to die quickly. Don't get Noctua for HE fan, too weak. Get it as skirt fans instead, those with kit are loud AF. Wires in wiring loom tend to break after few weeks of use, install them properly (ziptie on both ends) and get a quality Teflon wiring, you will most probably be making your own wires sooner or later.

allen keys, syringe for greasing the rails, grease for the rails, ziploc bags to clean the rails with alcohol, loctite (blue, the bottle is red but the lable is blue), screwdriver, wire crimper, soldering iron for heat inserts.
Ah yes, IPA, lubricant (White lithium without particles, EP2 or such), and octite/vibratite/nail polish too.

@Sanity Agathion I build drones so some of the stuff I already have - Caliper, High quality soldering iron (HAKO-888FX), Digital multimeter (Fluke 101 and 802FX), pliers, tweezers, various screwdrivers, set of files, hot air gun, set of wires strippers 10-32 AWG, IPA, nail polish.
I just want to make sure I get the rest right and there are no overlaps:
  1. PA-21 For small and medium terminals (third option)?
  2. iCrimp IWS-3220M Micro Connector Pin Crimping
  3. terminals and few housings - Which set will do best? (Will give a good cover)
  4. Sopoby Ferrule Crimper Plier (AWG 28-7) with 1800pcs Wire Ferrules Kit Wire Ends Terminals
  5. Mini Small Square Center Finder Woodworking, 90 Degree Precision Machinist Square Edge
  6. Screw extractor - which?
  7. WD40 White lithium (Is it good)
  8. Quality Teflon wiring - Which?
Are these good? (Except these I don't know which to pick), Do I miss anything?
If you can't give direct links because of the forum rules, please PM me.
Thank you so much for your help!!!

Last edited: