What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Whats the best software for building wiring diagrams?

Nemgrea

Staff member
Voron Owner
looking for something a bit better than paint.net for building nice looking wiring diagrams like the ones seen on the Docs site

I default to Adobe Illustrator because its what I have... For "smart" alignment and snapping, I imagine Figma would actually work pretty well. Runs from a browser and can even do collaboration. Free for light work!

Personally, I was using inkscape to make diagrams for hartk's afterburner toolhead PCBs. I'd experimenting with highlighting networks on mouse over too, to make finding connections easier.

I really *want* Fritzing to be the answer, but at least as of the last time I looked at it, it really wasn't: too hard to make new devices in it.

+1 on draw.io and since I happen to own a license: Illustrator - dont purchase it only for wire diagramms, draw.io is more than up to the task

I use Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, and Adobe InDesign. Which ever one makes sense for the wiring diagrams I do for myself or the communityInterface Cable Diagram.jpg

Attachments

• Interface Cable Diagram.jpg
    Interface Cable Diagram.jpg
    707.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
I don't have any recommendation, But I would really love to know what option you ended up going for

I used Draw.io for this one.
There's a downloadable release here: https://github.com/jgraph/drawio-desktop/tree/v21.6.1
And a web app here: https://app.diagrams.net/
1700779270231.png

You can set up a library and add custom images and define their node connection points.
1700779404786.png1700779382552.png

Then you can connected different elements with the lines (wires) which you can customize with a drop-shadow and even define how lines cross over each other.

Here's the license info if concerned with how you can use this for Open Source projects docs

1700779612312.png