What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Wiring LGX extruder with Hartk 2-piece board

antenna-t

Can someone help me determine what I’m doing wrong with my extruder motor wiring or tell me how I can determine if I just killed it? I am running an LGX extruder on my LDO kit Voron 2.4, and I just successfully switched from Klicky to the CNC Chaotic Labs Tap (the 5V version). To make this work, I upgraded my Hartk 2-piece PCB to from rev. 2 to rev. 4, which can supply 5V to tap without any modifications to the board. It all worked, except that my extruder suddenly stopped extruding. It just makes clicking noises and jitters. Much frustration and googling later, I noted a small comment on Hartk’s Github that rev. 4 fixed a problem with the stepper wiring. A bad memory then returned of spending a day banging my head against the wiring order for the stepper motor when I first used rev. 2 of the PCB. Despite my best efforts to understand the wiring schematics, I only got things to work through a process of elimination. Since that order has now changed in the new revision of the board, I'm back to square one. But this time, no amount of wire switching or crimp checking has helped. I am entirely stumped.

Here is what I’ve done so far (not necessarily in this rational order!):
- I have studied the wiring diagrams of everything in some detail.
- I have used a multi-meter to determine the coil pairs. I know that colours are not standardized, but to make this clear, I will say that the pairs for the LGX are black/green and blue/red.
- As I understand it, those pairs should be next to each other in the connector. (The Hartk PCB is marked S2B, S1B, S2A, S1A and Octopus Motor6 is marked A1, A2, B2, B1.) I have tried every possible order combination that keeps these pairs together. Every one of these combinations gets me only clicks and jitters.
- I have determined that the black/green pair needs to be in the far left slots (so S2B and S1B on the PCB). If I trade them, I get a short (see below).
- Just for shits and giggles, I’ve also followed advice from various forums and tried trading the middle two wires, and I've messed with other random combinations. These produce a printer shutdown preceded by this error: "TMC 'extruder' reports error: DRV_STATUS: 001300e0 s2vsb=1(ShortToSupply_B!) ola=1(OpenLoad_A!) olb=1(OpenLoad_B!) cs_actual=19."
- Even when this doesn't happen and I just leave things on while I'm puzzling and googling, the extruder seems to heat up all by itself and sometimes throws this error: "TMC 'extruder' reports error: DRV_STATUS: 80130103 otpw=1(OvertempWarning!) ot=1(OvertempError!) t120=1 cs_actual=19 stst=1 ]."
- I have also checked the continuity through the Hartk board (in case there was a fault on one of the pins), though I confess that I haven't done it all the way to the MCU. I just can't really figure out what I'd be checking, since I don't have a good understanding of which wire coming out of the LGX should track to A1,A2,B2,B1 on the mcu.

Is there some obvious thing I'm missing here? Could I have blown the motor with all my experimentation? Is it possible that there is some kind of fault in the new PCB? Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Can someone help me determine what I’m doing wrong with my extruder motor wiring or tell me how I can determine if I just killed it? I am running an LGX extruder on my LDO kit Voron 2.4, and I just successfully switched from Klicky to the CNC Chaotic Labs Tap (the 5V version). To make this work, I upgraded my Hartk 2-piece PCB to from rev. 2 to rev. 4, which can supply 5V to tap without any modifications to the board. It all worked, except that my extruder suddenly stopped extruding. It just makes clicking noises and jitters. Much frustration and googling later, I noted a small comment on Hartk’s Github that rev. 4 fixed a problem with the stepper wiring. A bad memory then returned of spending a day banging my head against the wiring order for the stepper motor when I first used rev. 2 of the PCB. Despite my best efforts to understand the wiring schematics, I only got things to work through a process of elimination. Since that order has now changed in the new revision of the board, I'm back to square one. But this time, no amount of wire switching or crimp checking has helped. I am entirely stumped.

Here is what I’ve done so far (not necessarily in this rational order!):
- I have studied the wiring diagrams of everything in some detail.
- I have used a multi-meter to determine the coil pairs. I know that colours are not standardized, but to make this clear, I will say that the pairs for the LGX are black/green and blue/red.
- As I understand it, those pairs should be next to each other in the connector. (The Hartk PCB is marked S2B, S1B, S2A, S1A and Octopus Motor6 is marked A1, A2, B2, B1.) I have tried every possible order combination that keeps these pairs together. Every one of these combinations gets me only clicks and jitters.
- I have determined that the black/green pair needs to be in the far left slots (so S2B and S1B on the PCB). If I trade them, I get a short (see below).
- Just for shits and giggles, I’ve also followed advice from various forums and tried trading the middle two wires, and I've messed with other random combinations. These produce a printer shutdown preceded by this error: "TMC 'extruder' reports error: DRV_STATUS: 001300e0 s2vsb=1(ShortToSupply_B!) ola=1(OpenLoad_A!) olb=1(OpenLoad_B!) cs_actual=19."
- Even when this doesn't happen and I just leave things on while I'm puzzling and googling, the extruder seems to heat up all by itself and sometimes throws this error: "TMC 'extruder' reports error: DRV_STATUS: 80130103 otpw=1(OvertempWarning!) ot=1(OvertempError!) t120=1 cs_actual=19 stst=1 ]."
- I have also checked the continuity through the Hartk board (in case there was a fault on one of the pins), though I confess that I haven't done it all the way to the MCU. I just can't really figure out what I'd be checking, since I don't have a good understanding of which wire coming out of the LGX should track to A1,A2,B2,B1 on the mcu.

Is there some obvious thing I'm missing here? Could I have blown the motor with all my experimentation? Is it possible that there is some kind of fault in the new PCB? Advice would be greatly appreciated.
Oh, and I also made sure that I didn't have a clog and disassembled the LGX to make sure that there wasn't just something caught in it.