What's new
VORON Design

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members!

Z Adjustment by 0.05 issue?

Christof

Printer Model
Voron 24 350mm
Extruder Type
Other
Cooling Type
Afterburner
Ive just a little question regarding Problems with my Z high and inconsistent 1 Layer on some Areas of my Bed. It is warped a bit.

I tried several things to overcome this, including bed_mesh with strange unpredictable outcomes.
I used 0.03 mm Sticky aluminum foil to even out the bed manually. That helped the most as of yet.

QGL is normaly leveling out after second pass below 0.005

I have the feeling, that my steppers on Z do only 0.1mm moves. That would explain a lot.
Can somebody confirm that when in Fluidd
on the Movement Console it's pssible to do
0.05 mm steps? In my case i can only do 0.1 mm steps otherwise nothing happens.
As well in print.cfg when changing z offset manually on bottom of code by 0.05 it changes nothing for the first layer
My steppers are 1.8 degree and in 16steps configuerd.

Im thankfull for any idea that leads to solving this issue i have for too long now.

Thanks
chris

Klipper newest
Moonraker newest
Fluidd newest
Fystec 1.0 firmware is about 1year old
slicer: Cura or Prusa

What probing mechanism do you use? if you have for example indictive probe, it scand only the metal, above it is still some layer of bed surface and this can be uneven too.
Can you post your Z motors setup here? To check RD, microsteps etc.

What probing mechanism do you use? if you have for example indictive probe, it scand only the metal, above it is still some layer of bed surface and this can be uneven too.
Can you post your Z motors setup here? To check RD, microsteps etc.
Hi
Thanks for responding. Im using a inductive Probe. The bed is a stock Voron Aluminium Plate with magnetic mate and Metal-sheet on top.
Underneath the metal-sheet i have put 0.03 mm self sticking aluminium foil, to even out the uneven spots. This i made after all attempts of bed_mesh faild.
But the QGL does not manage to get parallel to the bed for some reason (And it tends to tilt town towards positive Y-Axis). I also changed the QGL points to different locations but same result.
With Bed_Mesh default deleted and clear bed_mesh command in print start the problem remains. And whats baffling for me, the spots where the first layer
squishes or are to loose are pready much on the same locations. So i have consistency in the missmatch. May the probe can see the Aluminium Foil better than the Metal-Shhet on top?
But i had the Problem as well before putting the Foil on it.
My Voron 24 i have build from a Chinese set. But which i have bought from a local seller. I dont now the brand of the inductive Probe.

Hers the Print.cfg Z-Motor setup. Its the stock file i have edited over time. The Z Stepper configuration i have never touched after initial setup.
The Controller is a Spider V1.0
Fluid, moonraker, Klipper are all up to date.

Thanks for taking the time!

Code:
#####################################################################
#   Z Stepper Settings
#####################################################################

## In Z-MOT Position
## Z0 Stepper - Front Left
[stepper_z]
step_pin: PD14
dir_pin: !PD13
enable_pin: !PD15
rotation_distance: 40
gear_ratio: 80:16
microsteps: 16
##  In Z- Position
endstop_pin: ^PA0
##  Z-position of nozzle (in mm) to z-endstop trigger point relative to print surface (Z0)
##  (+) value = endstop above Z0, (-) value = endstop below
##    Increasing position_endstop brings nozzle closer to the bed
##  After you run Z_ENDSTOP_CALIBRATE, position_endstop will be stored at the very end of your config
#position_endstop: -0.5
##--------------------------------------------------------------------

##    Uncomment below for 350mm build
position_max: 340

##--------------------------------------------------------------------
position_min: -5
homing_speed: 8
second_homing_speed: 3
homing_retract_dist: 3

##    Make sure to update below for your relevant driver (2208 or 2209)
[tmc2209 stepper_z]
uart_pin: PD10
uart_address: 0
interpolate: True
run_current: 0.7
hold_current: 0.4
sense_resistor: 0.110
stealthchop_threshold: 0

##    In E1-MOT Position
##    Z1 Stepper - Rear Left
[stepper_z1]
step_pin: PE6
dir_pin: PC13
enable_pin: !PE5

[tmc2209 stepper_z1]
uart_pin: PC14
interpolate: True

##    In E2-MOT Position
##    Z2 Stepper - Rear Right
[stepper_z2]
step_pin: PE2
dir_pin: !PE4
enable_pin: !PE3

[tmc2209 stepper_z2]
uart_pin: PC15
interpolate: true

##    In E3-MOT Position
##    Z3 Stepper - Front Right
[stepper_z3]
step_pin: PD12
dir_pin: PC4
enable_pin: !PE8

[tmc2209 stepper_z3]
uart_pin: PA15
interpolate: true

Last edited:
Are you able to test your probe at different positions around the bed. Use the 'probe_accuracy' command and post up the results. Also test it multiple time in the same position (centre of bed?), just to confirm that it is giving consistent results. This may not be the cause of your problems but at least it could confirm that your probe is ok, and is one less thing to worry about

I am not sure about the alu foil, theoretically it should not influence reading, the steel is "thicker". You can try kapton tape just to be sure. But the surface, the sticker or powder, can be uneven. Have you tried rotating the plate 90 degrees to see if the pattern changes, or use another?

Also, are your Z belts tightened evenly? They should be as close to the same as possible. Disable hold_current in your config, it's no longer used or recommended.

I am not sure about the alu foil, theoretically it should not influence reading, the steel is "thicker". You can try kapton tape just to be sure. But the surface, the sticker or powder, can be uneven. Have you tried rotating the plate 90 degrees to see if the pattern changes, or use another?

Also, are your Z belts tightened evenly? They should be as close to the same as possible. Disable hold_current in your config, it's no longer used or recommended.
Thanks
ill try without hold_current.
I have choosen aluminium because of its good head transfer capabilities. not sure how good kapton tape transfer it.
I may can try to rotate the plate. I also thought about to CNC a new one with high grade cast aluminium.
But honestly, the bending isnt that hard.
The Belts are pready much the same. Ive tweaked them quiet a lot.

Can you confirm, that in fluidd it is nomal, that i can only make 0.1mm z moves?
If i change the z-high by 0.01 increments the z-axis does not move, until i reach a a 1/10th of a milimeter number.
In other words. I start at z = 2mm then i type z= 0.21 then z=0.22 and so on…. The axis does not move until i reach z=0.3 mm.
Is this expected? I find this strange. And if the z-axis is rounding up or down to next 1/10 mm this could actually cause
what i encounter… Because the transitions in first layer from squishy to loose are not gradually. they appear quiet suddenly.
Can you pleas try this.

Thanks

I meant to rotate steel sheet, not whole bed, But you can rotate that too and see if anything changes, could be gantry related rather than surface related too.

Sadly I am not familiar with Fluidd. You should be always able to adjust Z by commands in console rather than what UI offers you.

You can make z-offset moves down to +/- 0.005 in both Fluidd and Mainsail. Try using the console command SET_GCODE_OFFSET Z_ADJUST=-0.005 MOVE=1
Just to double check - are you clicking the z offset arrows (bottom right) or the toolhead movement arrows (bottom left), as the toolhead movement is limited to 0.1? Screenshot 2023-07-28 at 10.42.25.png